POLITICS Buttilicious

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by gcbvol, Apr 18, 2019.

1. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I've been laser focused on 2020 ever since I fell in love with
    BOOT
    EDGE
    EDGE

Let's roll!

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’ve been reading, as promised.
    He has a lot going for him.
    So did Beto, just a month ago.

The US is not ready for a gay POTUS, IMO. The media cannot will that into existence, as they did with Obama.

He would have been so much better served in waiting four years, but hopefully, he will use this as experience and to build his network. He and Beto should have known better than to accept the offers to run and which were made by party elders in full-blown panic mode.

Hell, GCB, be might win it all and beat Trump for all that I know. But it seems incredibly unlikely, IMO.

But, I’m still reading.

gcbvol likes this.
  3. gcbvol

Thanks. I think his chances of making it through the Dem primary are slim. Hell, he was getting grief earlier for his comments on the M report.

I find him extremely authentic, intelligent and unsullied. Yes, he's young but comes across so much more mature and prepared than many of the others. He's a lot like me I think when it comes to ideology. I'm definitely left of center and progressive, but I believe in phasic progress. It's why he talks about Medicare as a public option bridging us to the eventual single payer system, while also stating he believes there will always be a space for private insurance. A rip the band-aid off approach should be used sparingly and only when absolutely necessary. He has nuanced positions which speak to me. Being gay is a perk, but is not nearly so important to me as the rest.

TheOrangeEmpire and Tenacious D like this.
  4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

He’s a compelling candidate, for sure.

And please don’t take this wrong, as it isn’t intended as an insult in any way, or meant to predict his future, but something about him and his manner of speech reminds me of Dukakis. He isn’t as robotic, but there is a similarity in their delivery and tone.

If he plays it correctly, he will use 2020 as a springboard for more, just as JFK’s loss for the VP spot in ‘56 propelled his POTUS run in ‘60.

5. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

How has South Bend improved under him, I'll hang up and listen.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Brian Kelly hasn’t killed anybody in a couple of years I guess

7. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

His stance on immigration is a hard no. Saying a community of 100k Americans could use 30k immigrants to boost economy and overall growth is next level wokeness. I'm sure the people of South Bend are on pins and needles awaiting an influx of immigrants to raise the quality of life in an around their community.

Seems legit.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He is an extremely smart guy but he basically has zero policy ideas yet so it hard to judge him on anything.

9. gcbvol

A few takes on what he's accomplished in South Bend, the second link from someone not enamored with Pete. It's definitely true South Bend has a lot of challenges, however one needs to consider context when judging his performance. South Bend was identified as one of the top 10 dying cities the year before his first term—it had a long way to go and had years of steadily declining population. It's nowhere near where it needs to be today (as Pete talks about regularly), but he has absolutely made improvements and has SB on a solid trajectory. Even detractors say he works his ass off, listens and incorporates feedback and has established a success model for rust belt cities.

https://www.wired.com/story/pete-buttigieg-revived-south-bend-with-tech-up-next-america/
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a...bends-revival-under-pete-buttigieg-2019-04-12
    https://www.curbed.com/2019/4/12/18308020/mayor-pete-buttigieg-president-development-urbanism

10. gcbvol

Agreed. I think he mentioned recently the lack of early policy specifics was by design as he needed to get his name out there first. Probably smart seeing his rise as it limits ammunition which could have sunk him before he got off the ground.

He's a long shot for sure, but I'm excited to see where this goes. He's unique.

11. gcbvol

Plus, he has Chasten.

12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

It's definitely an approach that is working. I'm not sure yet where he falls in line until he gets some policies out there but he is definitely making some noise.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I like big butts and I cannot lie

gcbvol likes this.
  14. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Disqualifies him imo. Phish sucks.

JohnnyQuickkick, A-Smith and GahLee like this.
  15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I like him and want to hear more, but I don't know if America will elect a gay man. Once that visual of the potential Fiest Man comes into focus, I'm not sure the effect. The Republican platform in 2016 was even against gay marriage, adoption, etc.

16. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

What about Bathhouse Berry?

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

A mistake made in 2016 was thinking the election was about winning over more people, rather than getting more people out to vote for you. If someone is not willing to elect a gay man, they are not likely to ever align with the Democratic Party. Rather than just trying to be a bluer version of the GOP, the Democratic Party should be running on core values that are intellectually consistent (i.e. I have no time for the anti-free speech, microaggression stuff). This is challenging for the candidates that have been trying to have it both ways like Kamala Harris or Tulsi Gabbard. I am also not sure there is any real future in putting up Biden now.

Warren has policies and specifics, and should be a strong consideration for VP. Sanders strikes me as too much too fast, though I do think he is asking the right questions.

It's a wide open field, and Mayor Pete could find himself snowballing.

tvolsfan and gcbvol like this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

You hungry?

19. gcbvol

It all depends on how representative the party folks are of the electorate. The anti-gay stuff was in the platform solely from the far right segment of evangelicals in their base. It's true the gay thing is a nonstarter for them, but how big is this group? Plenty of evangelicals simply don't care about it much today. It doesn't mean they'll be running to vote for him, but I don't think he would be counting on/need those votes anyway.

Also, don't discount how much Americans like the new. There are a number of reasons Trump was elected, but one of them was because he was completely different from anything before. Same thing for Obama. We enjoy making a little history. None of this matters is the candidate isn't compelling otherwise, but I think Mayor Pete is/will be.

20. gcbvol

We definitely need more policy specifics from him, but what he has is unique to the field sans maybe Biden. He doesn't sounds like a typical politician when he speaks, it's more conversational as though he's thinking through issues in a very holistic manner then discussing solutions in an understandable if not specific way. He's highly intelligent, authenticity comes off him in waves and he has a sort of calming effect. If you see/hear him speak it is difficult not to come away impressed. If his policies are solid he absolutely has staying power.