The real drivers of popular opinion on climate change

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Feb 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Popular Opinion on Climate Change Traced to Political Elites: Scientific American

As I have asserted before, popular sentiment against global climate change has nothing to do with science, and everything to do with money and the economy. Ironically, that is trading short-term economic gain for long-term economic pain. But pain that is out of sight is pain that is out of mind, I guess.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Very few people do things with the future in mind. Not much is going to change that, and not much will change as far as climate change goes, until then, I don't imagine.

And thus, sans governmental regulation, which is generally not taken very well by voters, little will be done as far as self policing goes. Only way to make a difference, I think, is to force government regulation down the throats and hope it is palatable two or three decades down the road.

And I don't see that happening. And I probably wouldn't support such regulation. Oddly enough.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Correct. This is now a non-issue.

No more need for a global redistribution of wealth so as to avoid the summer from being extended an extra week or so.

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

What? To your first paragraph.....

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's powered by burning material. So it isn't really removing carbon now is it?

Look, you guys believe what you want. Watch what happens.

7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

It was on the news, a reporter reported it, therefore I must believe it.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, The physicist from Harvard's idea will lead to crop failures and ecological damage. Some plants need more specific light/brightness than others. Just dimming the sun arbitrarily will have a lot of unintended consequences.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

You didn't watch it, because they pointed out that this isn't some magic bullet.

10. TennTradition

I think these things can operate carbon negative. But maybe that’s when they are running off of excess solar during the day.

Problem is obviously cost per ton removed vs other technologies.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

They can operate carbon negative, but the whole thing is less efficient than just not emitting carbon.

12. TennTradition

Well, yes. But an added advantage is it can turn the curve around while not emitting (as you correctly pointed out to me) only slowly turns it around.

Still I’m with you on this. Direct air capture seems to be low on the list of approaches.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

And I'm not saying it isn't something that should continue to be explored and used where it can make sense. It just isn't the golden ticket that some want it to be.

14. Tenacious D

Finally, some truth.

15. Tenacious D

I don’t care for all of the other methods of limiting carbon. So, just make a shit-ton more of these, instead.

Or, just plant 1B trees, which is better than anything, and call it a day.

16. Tenacious D

Totally agree, it’s a golden ticket.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The advances in these new technologies and changing to rotational grazing would solve the problem of carbon sequestration.

Plus it’d have the added benefit of building top soil and helping stop water run off.

18. Tenacious D

There seem to be lots and lots of ways to fix this and which don’t involve:

1. Kill American industry and jobs, and

2. Redistribute American wealth to other and dumber countries, instead.

19. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I did watch it, it actually answered one of my questions about planting trees

20. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Thought this fit best in this thread. Is this fair to direct link to climate change? Also, I had previously read about the lies from climate deniers about the walruses in Our Planet. Disgraceful.

Alaska's Insanely Warm Spring Is Killing Animals And People

I'll also add the people referenced in this article should have probably known better.