5 Days.............

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Oldvol75, May 18, 2012.

1. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

left of school and I'm off for the summer! And yes it takes a special person to understand that they can't work in the summertime! Its tough but I manage to survive! Feel for me!

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I, too, know the pain of having summers off. Students' last day was yesterday. Wednesday is the last day for teachers. With less than stellar pay, nice to have a perk.

The NWS (National Walleye Service) has issued a Category 10 (yes, an unprecedented cat 10) Hurricane JayVols warning. I'm a fixin' to unleash all manners of hell on those little bastages.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

My last day was today. Due to a budget issue, I'm still unaware if I will be back or not. Pretty hectic at this point.

4. JayVols

18 down. 12 to go. They can't pass soon enoigh. We have a Director of Schools that taught kindergarten for 5 years the went to Central Office. She's been there 30+ years. The result of this is we have a "leader" that knows nothing outside of coloring and nap time. The system is being run like a kindergarten class. It's awful. Apparently, the teachers are a bunch of insolent children as we are treated as such. I've been a part of the system for 32 years counting my student days. Worse leadership I have ever seen. Add the fact that we are one of the lowest paid systems in the state, and there is absolutely no incentives to stay.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I understand that. Sounds familiar in some ways to our system. I've put in for around 20 positions all over east tennessee at this point just to try and cover my back. Nothing as of yet. Nerve wrecking as all get out.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Keep the faith brother

7. JayVols

Any openings in my county as a last resort? I can try to put in a word if you need it. Would be a long drive, but would be cool to have you at my school. We could plot a takeover 8th Maxim style.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I'd go anywhere at this point. I have certification in Bidness and can get a license in PE as well. Of course, coaching would be part of the equation.

9. JayVols

Check the county's website to see if there are any openings. The VP of CTE is great to work for. You could help us in softball.

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I've checked and there is nothing posted as of yet. Of course I know the next week or so is usually when postings start picking up.

11. JayVols

Let me know if I can help in any way.

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Appreciate it big guy. I really think it will all work out where I am, but at this point I have to be proactive.

13. Oldvol75

The system I work with is so screwed up its pitiful. The morons in charge handed out contracts last Friday then Monday handed out pink slips to some that had signed their contract already. Then had to retract the pink slips. At first we had a 180 day year. Then we had a 170 day year. Both with up to 10 furlough days. Now they are talking about a 4 day school week. I hope we go with the 4 day week myself.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Hope things work out, NYYVol.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Thanks. I honestly think it will.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You seem like a genuinely good guy. You'll land somewhere for sure!

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Here in Metro Nashville, we have finals next week. I honestly don't think I could survive another week. Our school has devolved into a chaotic mess with the lack of leadership from the top. The lead principal is rarely here and, when he is, tries to sort of micro-manage and dictate to everyone to compensate for his missed time. Then, the Dean of Students is [uck fay]ing useless and took a damn month to address one discipline referral I wrote a month ago, while I still have 5-6 outstanding ones from over a month ago. I need a break, badly. Fortunately, I also get to coach track and we're having a killer season with a solid group of kids and the state meet next week.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

This coming Friday is my last day. Must be nice to already be off, and I hope everything works out for you nyvols.

I don't know what the hell is going on with my situation. I'm only a second year teacher, so I'm suppose to sign the notice that you may not be brought back, but I've already been hired back without doing that. I might have hit it lucky and got fast tracked for tenure, but if I have no one has let me in on it.

19. JayVols

If it wasn't nearly impossible to get tenure now, I didn't have my health issues, and didn't have a wife and 2 kids to support, I would take the risk of leaving my job and would be dragging my fat ass 15 minutes up the road to Kingsport City for a $12-$15k/year raise. Yes there is that big of a difference.

20. Oldvol75

Thats the good thing about Georgia, they pay you for years experience. Unlike alabama where if I had taught 25 years and you are a first year teacher and both of us had the same degree, we make the same amount.