The Lakers offense

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Indy, May 19, 2012.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Is hard to watch at times. I haven't watched the entire game closely, but I thought Gasol and Bynum were supposed to be bigger offensive threats? They don't create anything for themselves, and most possessions that don't start / run through Kobe seem doomed to failure. He's constantly having to point and tell people where to go. It's like he's playing with a bunch of high school guys that don't know what the hell they are doing. Am i misreading this?

2. WM

WM Active Member

Aging team and a shitty coach drawing up plays IMO.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

After watching that it's easy to see why his shooting percentage is so low. Some of the shots he takes are forced because no one else does jack shit in the offense. Granted, he does have a poor shot selection at times because he's selfish, but I feel like a lot of times it's the result of no one bailing him out. Plus he gets molested pretty much every time he comes down the court.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

All that needed to be said right here

5. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

Sinking ship and Kobe's the captain.

6. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Not exactly offense-related, but it's utterly retarded that the Lakers keep leaving Steve Blake on Westbrook. He got absolutely dominated over and over again, until Pau finally came over to help and left Durant (IIRC) wide open for a three.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

gasol needs to man up. Unfortunetely he's one of these players you have to constantly crap on to get motivated. jackson was good at doing that.

8. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Big men like Gasol and Bynum that play primarily around the basket and with their back to the basket aren't charged with the responsibility of initiating the offense. The ball has to be passed to them.

To the extent that they haven't been doing jack shit on offense, blame poor offensive execution generally, or blame Kobe "passing is for quarterbacks only" Bryant, who never met a contested 19 foot fallaway jumper he didn't like.

9. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Gasol is an excellent excellent offensive player.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

They have to get themselves in the right position to receive the ball and then finish. They weren't really doing either of the two. Also, is Gasol really a "back to the basket" player? I thought he was more of a big man that could come out and hit jumpers away from the basket?

11. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Oh look, Westbrook dominated again. What a shock. If the Lakers had gotten Eric Bledsoe instead of Sessions, they would be in much better shape.