POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

What do you mean, “of that sort”? Did you forget to also add, “those people”?

Transgenders are not a protected class. This matter of law is settled. SCOTUS is about to further settle it, and likely in an unkind manner.

As a nightclub owner, I shouldn’t be allowed to say that women who dress like men aren’t allowed inside? Or as an attorney, I can’t say “No, thanks!” to an applicant who is sexually a female, but who thinks they’re really a guy and want to dress as such and force both myself and anyone else to believe and act the same?

That makes no sense. I’ve refused to hire people because they mentioned liking any school except Tennessee, because I knew it’d be a bad fit for all involved.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

let's ask pence what he thinks. also, you seem to be replacing lgbtq+ with just "gay." I am not really educated on all the particulars and have only a shallow understanding, but the two are certainly not interchangeable.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You know the "T" part of the "Most friendly LBGTQ" stands for transgender, right? You can't have it both ways.

Oh, the idea this has been "settled" is horseshit, too. It changes back when a Democrat gets into the Oval Office.

tvolsfan likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

saying they aren't doesnt really address me saying they should be. I am not arguing they are. I am saying I believe it logical, ethical, and beneficial to do so. and I don't see any comparison of that personal identity with where one chose to get a degree or what team they root for. it's not a team. hell, I don't understand lgtbtq+ as a state of being anymore than why I just like women, but I value just and equal treatment. I am not singling out a party, we could all do a lot better, especially with trans issues. A society ought to strive for justice and equity for all people, even ones that aren't a significant voting group.

5. Tenacious D

Why can’t I have it both ways with transgenders? Why would I care what someone’s sex is, anyway? Says who?

No, really, it is settled law.
    Says SCOTUS, that’s who.

6. Tenacious D

I’m not sure why their sex matters, at all. Ever.

7. Tenacious D

I’m all for the equitably fair treatment of all.

Who isn’t being fair and equitably treated, and how, specifically?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

somebody nudge renny, he's stuck in a loop.

9. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

President Trump loves the gays!

10. Tenacious D

Finally, some non-fake news.

11. Tenacious D

If someone isn’t enjoying equal rights, that should be corrected.

I’ve yet to hear anyone tell me who is, and how.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

The thing cpninja posted regarding Trump rolling back transgender protections. I have not a single shred of a shadow of a doubt you believe in equal rights for all.

The divide we are having is in apparently believing that if the SCOTUS says a group isn't a protected class, then that means they can't be discriminated against-- it just means discrimination towards them is not illegal, which is definitely not the same thing. Being able to refuse medical care to a person because they are trans, even if that care has nothing to do with being trans, is chilling. While you talk about wanting a government so weak it can't really harm you, I am seeing a government already so weak that anyone can harm this group of citizens, so long as it is done passively. And that is what was raised as an issue to kick off this particular topic.

I don't give a shit if Obama was worse or not, to be perfectly frank. This isn't really a legacy topic but rather an immediate American health issue.

The Dooz likes this.
  13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Nor does it matter what somebody said in the past, as we were reminded on Monday.

14. Tenacious D

I’m down with all of this.

I was talking about this from a purely legal perspective, and where being a transgendered person isn’t a protected class. I don’t think you need a law to treat people equally, but then, I realize that some laws are necessary to compel it, as not everyone feels or would respond the same, in its absence.

I don’t think that it’s ok, morally acceptable or should be legally possible to discriminate against anyone for their sexual orientation or gender.

I think the white elephant in the room, and where we are likely to part ways, is what constitutes “medical treatment”, and the assumption of what rights people have to it.

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You can't have it both ways in saying it was good for him to do the ban, a reversal of another president's policy to allow transgenders, and then say he is the "most LGBTQ friendly". It's one or the other.

And, the Supreme Court did not say a future president couldn't reverse a transgender ban, so it isn't a settled thing.

16. Tenacious D

Fine. I choose that he is the most GLBT-friendly POTUS in history.

It’s settled law that the POTUS can prohibit their service.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

After debating with IP and Uni over the years I have changed my mind on several issues and have come to agree with them. Am I allowed because I said something different previously?

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Absolutely not.

19. Tenacious D

We provide a real-world proving ground for them to most easily discern how to best achieve what they want, or a sizable portion of it.

We’re sort of like the bumper guards on the political / societal bowling alley, trying to keep them out of the gutter of crazy / asinine / ill-conceived, and what do we get for it?

Heartaches, nothing but heartaches. Well, and the occasional accusation of our being gang rapists, but mostly just heartache.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have seen little indication you like taking turns, working together, or sharing.