A move that very few if any here care about other than myself...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by volfanbill, May 17, 2012.

1. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

My Old Dominion Monarchs will be leaving the friendly confines of the CAA for C-USA after next season. This will move their 3 year old football program to the FBS and eliminate so many of the fun in state rivalries the CAA helped create. In fact, the CAA could be in some serious trouble. VCU is gone to the A10, Georgia State to the SunBelt and George Mason was hoping to go with VCU to the A10. Rumors are that they are still looking around as well as James Madison according to other speculation.

I think it's a good move for ODU athletics overall, they are seemingly following E Carolina's progression route to a T and are doing so with plenty of private booster support to help ensure their facilities are top notch. It will likely take a little while to adjust, especially in football, but I think the basketball program can glide right into being competitive. Blaine Taylor's name comes up every offseason on coaching wish lists and he's got a good class coming in this year. Taylor Heinicke was fabulous as a true freshman at qb once he became the starter, even leading ODU to the FCS playoffs. HC Bobby Wilder is a really good coach too, but I fear if ODU continues to succeed that someone will offer him a much more lucrative job that he won't be able to pass up. It also doesn't hurt that ODU's backdoor, front door and any side doors all lead to Hampton Roads, a recruiting hotbed for almost any sport.

2. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Eff all you guys. 44 views and not one of y'all can make me feel like my alma mater has some sort of relevance and importance? Eff everyone of ya.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It would be nice of ODU kept guys out of VT.

4. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

If it's any consolation, thread title was spot on.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Great news for ODU.

Where is ODU?

6. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

It's already at a point where I think VT and UVa are going to have a hard time rounding out their rosters with Tidewater/Hampton Roads players. ODU is considered an early threat for the FCS title next season and I think they can reach a spot where they do get a few big name players who simply want to stay home.
    Norfolk, VA.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The lady monarchs were a formidable women's program for a long time.....

8. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I can spell ODU.

9. WM

WM Active Member

Did a double take, thought it said ODB. Dirt McGirt U taking over.

10. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

it's been referrred to as Ole Dirty U. on many, many occasions.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Old Dominion?! It's the biggest turd in the toilet bowl that is "officially" known as the Tidewater area.

I would prefer to talk about the failed strategies of the Mondale campaign, instead.

Because I not only have a keener interest but a greater respect for it, than ODU.

12. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

something tells me the Department of the Navy doesn't allow Tenny D in the Tidewater area anymore because of his constantly trying to solicit sexual favors from sailors. Just a hunch.

13. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

In other Norfolk news that few if any here care about other than myself. . . Ads in the Calder Cup Final.

Seriously, BOL in CUSA. Hoops should immediately be a (if not the) top program in the conference, with Memphis leaving.

14. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

How long did the Admirals winning streak go to? I know it was in the twenties near the end of the regular season.

15. Tar Volon

They won the rest of the regular season but lost the second game of the playoffs. Depending on whether you count the playoffs or not, it ended up at 28 or 29.

But after a couple tight series against the #8 and #6 seed, they've won six straight and have swept the #2 in the East (St John's). Open up against Toronto (the West's #2) on Friday and Saturday. Think I might head up for the weekend. Never been to Norfolk before.

16. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

where are you now? (as I type this I realize I could actually find the answer myself, but that seems wrong)

17. Tar Volon

North Carolina (in grad school at UNC)