2019 Vol Baseball

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by lylsmorr, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Thats great

2. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Dude picking the opportunity to his his first bomb was clutch...

Would be nice to get the 1B back from that injury that hasn't healed like it was supposed too

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

RPI is 10 and we're 15-15 against Q1 opponents. Only school that has played more Q1 teams is Mississippi State.

Barring a total collapse this week, I think we're in.

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

We are in.

5. Ssmiff

Rpi top 10, dont you have to be? If not,
    dracaris

6. CardinalVol

I could see a sweep by Ole Miss knocking us out, but that's it. Win 1 of 3 and we're set. 2 of 3 and we might get a 2 seed.

7. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

So I saw on twitter that Kendall Rogers answered a question about was this enough.. his response that UK didn't get in with 13 SEC wins last season... Tennessee has 12 SEC wins entering the last home series....

35-17 ; 12-15...

Absolute must to beat TTU in midweek game

Would be nice to get 2 and be at 14-16. Doubt Ole Miss gets swept 2 weeks straight, but that would take the SECT pressure off.

8. CardinalVol

9. Ssmiff

talent in the SE is crazy. I can't believe what i'm seeing on various fields and courts as far as size and skill with even 13 and 14 year old kids. Many are as developed as we were as jrs and srs, or even moreso. Specializing in one sport early is always a debate, but seems like there isn't a lot of crossover around here between sports. There are exceptions of course, but many of us played multiple sports in HS, which doesn't happen as often now, which also leads to some very well skilled and trained players, if, they haven't burned out. Comparing my baseball teams as a 14 year old to todays teams is no contest in baseball specifically.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Genetics and training methods have improved.

Teams looking bigger has nothing to do with specializing and is more for the coaches egos and wallets. Than the well being of the child.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

genetics?

12. Ssmiff

I mean the skill in each individual sport looks better to me and not as many kids cross over due to reps lost. I like well rounded players, but a kid taking 1000 ground balls over winter instead of playing basketball is going to be better, generally.

13. Ssmiff

Something. There are 6'0-6'6 kids all over middle school now. Think about when you were in 7th or 8th grade. Something has changed.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

kids were undernourished and grew up with smokers where I lived. also, there were plenty of kids taller than me and I am 6'.

15. Ssmiff

Talk to someone who coaches teenagers. Things have changed.

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Agreed. My 13-year old is small for his class, and he’s 5’6” and 130lbs.

17. CardinalVol

There's a 9 year old in our league I'll bet $500 right now will throw his arm by by the time he's 15. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

And he's a dang good 9 year old pitcher, probably best 9 year old in league, but I have no doubt.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

alright

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

something in those trails that airplanes leave imo

20. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I work at a HS with two D1 baseball signees, 4 JUCO signees, and have at least 1 more underclassmen with a D1 offer and several more with a shot....Sounds like that would be a really good squad and it is..... except another team in our District has 5 SEC signees/commits (1 TN actually) and another 5-6 at least JUCO kids... 1 of the SEC commits is a projected early 1st RD pick in his class. It is crazy.