2019-2020 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Indy, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yes he is and hes not a good coach but hes recruiting pros.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Cal recruits a lot of pros. He has a losing record to Barnes at Tennessee

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

and he's about 10x the coach Penny is

4. Ssmiff

They scored 90+ on us this year and almost beat us. I just think they are going to be a problem, until they get caught cheating. Then again cheating doesnt matter to the ncaa in most circumstances.

IP likes this.
  5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I also think Memphis could start holding their own with us in the near future.

We are their Kentucky Game.

IP likes this.
  6. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

They were never close to winning that game.

If Penny does actually have success, I assume he'll parlay it into a bigger job.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Grant Williams says he will make his decision about staying in the draft or returning to school on Saturday, 5/18.

Sounds like we won’t have to wait long to know if we will suck or be decent next year.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, I wonder how the drop in rating for Josiah James might affect Jordan Bone’s decision to return next year.

Originally I saw him getting less minutes this year with a 5* talent demanding time, and other players stepping up. Now I’m not so sure.

9. Ssmiff

James' recruiting rating dropping may affect Bone's decision? Come on man.

utvol0427 and justingroves like this.
  10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah I doubt he thinks about that for 1 nanosecond

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Not just the drop itself, but the various things that have been said about him being "overrated" and not as good as projected from the start. I saw a couple articles talking about how he never should have been rated as highly as they had him.

I don't know man, basketball is a sport of small teams and limited playing time. If I'm a starting PG who just had a "break out" season, and I know my team is bringing in a highly touted PG for next season (who is rated much higher than I was out of HS), that's definitely something that crosses my mind.

I always felt Bone's decision to come out (and stay out, from what it looks like) was odd and didn't make a lot of sense, until I looked at it through the lens of his playing time next year. Maybe he felt the kid was good enough to demand significant minutes from the time he steps on campus, and if his primary position is PG, it's easy to see how Bone may anticipate a drop in his minutes for next season. It's hard to reproduce or improve on your solid performance in 2019 if your minutes drop in 2020. But if you find out that kid isn't as good as advertised and may not demand those minutes? That changes the situation.

Or maybe he isn't thinking about that at all. If I'm making that big of a decision for my life, I know I consider as many different details and outcomes as possible.

12. Ssmiff

I'm about as sure as i can be that Bone didnt take into consideration losing minutes to a true freshman as part of his decision making process to go compete for PT in the nba.

IP and justingroves like this.
  13. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Nor should he. Bone and James would actually probably be on the floor together some if not a lot.

14. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

New cbs mock draft projects him as a lottery pick - to Miami at 13. At this point, I see no reason for him to return to UT.

15. Ssmiff

wow. Lets see if that sticks after this combine. I just don't know who he guards at the nba level.

utvol0427 likes this.
  16. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

They also have Admiral at 27. While losing Grant will suck for next year, in the long run I think it’ll be great for UT and Barnes in recruiting to have two first round picks in this draft.

17. Ssmiff

turning two pudgy 3*s into nba draft picks is something he should be able to sell. Has UT ever had 2 players drafted?

18. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

To my knowledge, the only time UT has ever had two players picked in the first round of the same draft was Ernie and Bernie.

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I think Bone is leaving, no matter what, and I don’t think it has anything to do with James.

I think he wants to get paid, first and foremost, and that he’ll never have a better chance than right now. I also believe that some piece of him grew tired of Barnes’ so tightly holding the reigns on the offense / specifically him, and he doesn’t want or need another season of that.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’ve yet to see Tennessee parlay it’s recent on-court success to the recruiting trail, and in similar fashion.

I attribute much of this to Barnes’ just not being interested or willing to be as active in recruiting as he once was, and probably needs to be.