Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Its been stressful.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Is it wrong that i'm somewhat hoping my nephew's team doesn't win their division championship because his parents (in particular my sister in law) are acting like my brother in law is some sort of modern day knute rockne of little league baseball? that and they take it way too seriously and are annoying the crap out of everyone and i'm concerned winning the thing will make things significantly worse.

3. CardinalVol

Somebodys jealous.......

kmf600, NorrisAlan and droski like this.
  4. CardinalVol

Found out tonight I get to be interim manager for girls tee ball over memorial day weekend.

droski likes this.
  5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Brentwood HS Lax tweeted out from our tourney last week and it happened to be my son with the ball. He had just juked big fella. Wish they woulda posted the video because it was a pretty good move and you heard a big "ohhh" when the defender went down

6. Ssmiff

Regarding the parent of a kid pushing, etc, its hard at times. I have 3 boys. 2 are not athletic, so of course I just kept them in until they couldnt play or didnt want to. The other needs a little pushing. He competes when its game time, but gets lazy at practice and way lazy on his own time, which will catch up to him like it did in soccer. Its difficult as i dont want his practice on his own time to be a burden. Ive tried to get him to turn on music and make it fun. There are just so many distractions now, but he needs pushing in certain ways and times (not during a game or after)
    I didnt even have Atari growing up, but if i coulda been online with buddies and headsets talking to each other as we invade russia together, there would have been fewer tackle nerf games outside.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

raining today during the playoffs. no one knows what to do because it hasn't happened in 20 years.

8. CardinalVol

Oh just go and [uck fay] yourself and the whole league.

droski likes this.
  9. CardinalVol

Forgot to post but the Princess got her first hit off a pitched ball last night. A rocket down the 3B line. That's Blizzard #1 for her this year.

kmf600, NorrisAlan and droski like this.
  10. Ssmiff

Briber

11. Ssmiff

Man my middle one threw up eggs on the soccer field on the final day of what was going to be his last year. 8 years old i think. Kids were hurdling it. Its amazing what a serving of scrambled eggs can become once ingested and puked. Could feed a village.
    Then I bribed him with a new Nintendo ds at halftime if he scored. He hadnt come close to a shot on goal all year. Zero chance. Until he knocked this kid over, got the ball and toed a knuckleball in, then walked over, asked if we could leave and go to Game stop.

12. CardinalVol

Told my son I'd give him $100 bucks if he hit a home run - a over the fence home run.

My mom told him she'd give him $100 for one even if it was an inside the parker. About 3 weeks ago he hits a bullet down the left field line (hardest ball he's ever hit), round 3rd, the 3B coach (not me) freezes him, then tells him to go. That freeze was enough for the SS to replay it and nail him. He informed 3B coach that he owed him $100 for costing him a home run holding him up.

kmf600, NorrisAlan and Ssmiff like this.
  13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you'll be happy to know the rain stopped in time and it looks like we are going to get the games in

justingroves likes this.
  14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Transitioning from HC to assistant has been a little more difficult than I thought it would be.

This baseball season is going to wind up being fine, but I think I'm more suited to be either in the captain's chair or in the stands, not behind 1st base.

15. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Also, I'd like to add that playing 9-12 together is, in some ways, not as bad as I thought. It is, however, [uck fay]ing slooooooooooooooow. 9-10 kid pitch might be just as slow, I don't know, but this hurts a lot.

16. CardinalVol

Man I wish I could share the text conversation a dad just sent us between him and his daughter's coach. This is straight gold.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

We do kid pitch at 8. It’s awful to watch

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

so my before mentioned all star manager brother in law is now pressuring me to play my kids up in the fall so that our kids will be on the same team and i can manage. apparently the stress of the season has been too much for him. also his assistant coaches apparently when he asks them for advice for pitching changes either say "whatever you think" or only tell him to pitch their own kid. ha ha

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The best thing an assistant coach can do is to think outside the box and share ideas. I can't stand a yes man. Luckily I've had some good assistants that make me question moves. They often take some dog cussings, but it helps more than they know.

droski likes this.
  20. CardinalVol

Guy I am coaching with is the best one I've ever coached with. We share same philosophy on offense - balls to the wall running the bases (we hands down lead league in stolen bases.....and runners thrown out on bases). Defensively he handles the defense and I handle the battery. It's quite nice.