Mt. Everest

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, May 25, 2019.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Imagine you take the time to train, gather equipment and then shell out the $11,000 for a permit to climb Mt. Everest. Then, you fly to Nepal and start the climb. And find this:

[​IMG]

10 people have died so far this year on the mountain. It seems insanity to me.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Have some friends who went to base camp a year or so ago.

This is one of those things i’d love to be able to say I did, but wouldn’t care to actually do it

kmf600 likes this.
  3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

The toilet must be up top

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

They need to shut it down, but they won't.

Savage Orange and NorrisAlan like this.
  5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

They have been showing that movie a lot on TV the past couple of weeks

6. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Complete shitshow just like our national parks have become.

7. cpninja

cpninja Member

can I get a fastpass there or do I have to wait in line with the other schmucks

IP and kmf600 like this.
  8. NorrisAlan

You are an American. Just shove your way up.

9. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Pictures like that just go to prove that it’s not really an accomplishment any more... just a bucket list checkoff for rich folks who want to brag at the next Burning Man or Kentucky Derby...

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

not kidding. If you gotta dump asap, what to you do?

11. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I don’t think that’s accurate. The queue formed because there has been bad weather this climbing season. So when it clears a built up group surges to the summit to try to hit the window.

Over a handful of people have already died this season - most from altitude sickness. And these folks are as far as I can tell trained and many accomplished climbers.

I don’t know how elite you need to be, but sure seems like an accomplishment.

Volst53 and JudgmentVol like this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

You dump right there. The whole mountain top is contaminated with human waste, trash, and even bodies. The Nepalese government now requires you not to just hike out with all of your waste, but some extra waste in an effort to improve conditions. Nothing rots up there. It just stays frozen all year, making its way down at a glacial pace-- and contaminating water when/if it does make it to an altitude with melt temperatures.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

A guy I met who has done it seems to think some of the folks up there haven't trained or accomplished nearly enough to reasonably attempt it and are a big hazard on their guides and fellow climbers. The other issue is the ad hoc nature of it, where the expectation is "get me to the summit or else" with having spent 10's of thousands to be there. So ya, when there is predictably unpredictable weather and a limited number of windows, these dangerous situations are inevitable.

Either this continues to get more deadly or the Nepalese government needs to better regulate the number of permits and the quality of those receiving them.

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I say, you want to go up there and lose a couple of fingers, your nose, and part of your ears, go for it.

justingroves likes this.
  15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You mean this comment to be ugly, but it’s beautiful.

We hand out passports every day, NA.

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Outlaw sherpas.
    Let nature run its course.
    Problem solved.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

unfortunately those sherpas are so desperate for the money they already die for it

18. NorrisAlan

No, I meant it to be a joke. I love America and wouldn't live anywhere else.

Tenacious D likes this.