Netflix Streaming Recommendations/TV Talk

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Aug 31, 2011.

1. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

So I cut the cord today. My dish was over 150 coconuts, went with Hulu plus with HBO, 70 coconuts a month. I call dish, these comé mierdas tell me, we can reduce your bill to 55 coconuts. I say, that settles it, I'm done with you assholes. You should have told me 5 years ago you could save me do much. Then he gets pissed off at me, and says some shit like, I hope you enjoy it when your internet provider starts charging you over the data limit charges. It's about what I expect these days. I get [uck fay]ed in the ass for 10 years, and they get mad at me for telling them to eat a bag of [Richards]

DC Vol, IP, NYY and 1 other person like this.
  2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So there's going to be a Breaking Bad movie focusing on Jesse.

Other than him killing Marie and then killing himself, there is no way I think I'll enjoy this.

3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

@Tenacious D have you watched the animated TPB?

Gonna check it out once I finish up The Wire.

4. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

My wife and I really enjoyed "The Last Kingdom" which is a somewhat accurate retelling of the Viking invasion of England and the eventual triumph of the Saxon Kingdom of Wessex that unified the independent Saxon/Viking kingdoms to form England. It's not as stuffy as it might sound.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Just saw this CUT, my bad.

I watched about 3 minutes of it and then couldn’t take it any more. They’ve got to move on without Mr. Leahey, or just close shop and go to the house.

6. Tenacious D

I’ve really enjoyed this guy’s channel. He’s an Englishman who visits Belarus, Russia, India, etc., and just films himself and others doing rather ordinary shit, but what he comes across is always interesting to me.

He has recently went into the Chernobyl zone, and met people who never left and still remain, like this cat, who he picked up hitchhiking, and accompanied him to his home:

Or others, where...

he’s walking around a Moldovan village, and ends up having homemade wine with three retired women.

He shows you the cheapest hotel room in the cheapest hotel in the poorest city in Russia.

He ends up having an entirely normal lunch with this beautiful Eastern European woman he unexpectedly meets on the street, and who turns out to be silly and charming.

He throws a makeshift bbq for this small village in the Chernobyl area, and for 2-3 residents of this little forgotten town and it’s aged residents.

He goes and spends a few hours with men who are waiting to be hired as day laborers in India.

He meets and shares a drink with one old Russian man on the street and who takes him to the apartment of a friend. That cat turns out to be Chechnyan, living in Russia...and who gets increasingly angry with the YouTube guy the more intoxicated he becomes, and demanding that the Englishman answer as to why Churchill was so bad to them, back in the 40’s. It gets dark and frightening.

This is NOT the well-worn YouTubing do-good shit, or the fake / staged travel vlogs, at all. He has real interactions with these people. I find it interesting and wanted to share his channel.

Ssmiff likes this.
  7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I could watch that type of show daily and nothing else.
    Idiot Abroad was entertaining in a different way.
    Locked up abroad is a house staple

8. Tenacious D

It’s really, really good. He’s always alone, and just seems like the kind of guy who likes to travel and experience stuff / meet new people. It’s all random shit, but so interesting to see the stuff he comes across, almost all of which is just ordinary daily life for those he meets. He speaks fluent Russian (he was married to a Russian, and later got divorced and was bankrupted - hence that language and his channel is named “bald and bankrupt”).

He’s in this one town inside the Chernobyl zone, and there’s like 15 people there, all over the age of 55 - 60 years old, and whose only connection to the outside world is with this truck - imagine a WalMart on wheels - that comes by once a month. At one point, this older woman says that the town used to have 60+ people in it, even after they’d been forced to evacuate, but that it’s down to 15 or so now, because everyone has moved away or died. Then she looks at him and says, “We don’t have any young people in the town or anyone having babies and kids running around, anymore.” and it just hit me like a ton of bricks for some reason.

Watch the video of the hitchhiker I included above, and to the end, when he walks him into the woods to the family cemetery - everyone he ever knew and loved is buried there. And he’s now all alone in this house in the Russian woods, inside a radiation zone, in what is now a deserted neighborhood, without electricity, and where he has tie his bags of food to the ceiling to keep mice out of it. And where he spends a big part of every day by walking to his family cemetery that’s even further into the woods, and where he sits for hours on a bench, talking to the tombstones of his now deceased dad, mom, wife, brother, etc. Because what else are you going to do, besides that, or get blind drunk - or both - if you’re that guy?

It’s funny how stupid stuff like that - or as my wife calls it “normal human emotion” - can sometimes strike me.

It won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but I really enjoyed it, and hope that you do, too. I also enjoyed Idiot Abroad, but too often got annoyed at Karl’s sheer babyish behavior and whining.

IP likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Chernobyl on HBO is fantastic

zehr27 and utvol0427 like this.
  10. Tenacious D

So, I was in the Navy with some guys who were serving on a submarine tender that was stationed in Holy Loch, Scotland on the day it happened. As luck (?) would have it, they were working with / on / around things that required personal dosimetry and hand-held monitors. They told me that their handheld monitors starting chirping sometime shortly after it happened, and while they were standing topside on a submarine, waiting to go inside.

TennTra can fact check me, but that’s what they told me.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

that's possible, may have been the day or two after. Many places in northern Europe were quickly exposed. Scandinavian countries were closing schools to avoid exposure before the Soviets had even evacuated the city or publicly acknowledged the scope of the problem. you should watch the show.

[uck fay], I say possible. I have zero doubt they are telling you the truth.

12. Tenacious D

I do know that everyone was shocked that they admitted anything was amiss, but when they did, the Navy offered to send people / experts to help, and they refused. Same thing when the Kursk went down.

13. Tenacious D

14. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I believe it. I don’t know if the day of is right or not based on wind but at the latitude it doesn’t take that long.

15. Tenacious D

I don’t think it was instantaneous, and maybe as long as a day or so, but not long afterwards. I think it might have been in that period where everyone knew something had happened (from other instances such as the one I described), but the Soviets had not yet admitted it, at least publicly.

Thanks for the science check-in, TT.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Scandinavia definitely knew within a day.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I get why people hate Andy now. He was a fine auxiliary character in seasons 1-7. What they did with him in 8-9 was awful. In general, The Office should have ended about 30 episodes earlier.

Seasons 3-7. You get it.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    justingroves and chavisut like this.
  18. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Loved some early Dwight V Andy.

justingroves and lylsmorr like this.
  19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

They had some good back and forth. The showdown for Angela was good. Dwight marrying Angela with Andy watching was fantastic.

justingroves likes this.
  20. Tenacious D

The Office’s Worst Characters:

1. Nelly
    2. Andy
    3. Gabe
    4. The two young schleps / time-fillers that they brought in for the final season
    5. Pam Beasley
    6. Charles
    7. Phyllis