Yeti’s

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’ve got the large bag and the 45.

The bag is a pain in the ass to get into / out of. The 45 gets two bags of ice dumped into it and drinks / snacks thrown in, and where it then sits in the shade on my boat for 6-8 hours.

I’d estimate that roughly 90% of the ice melts into water during that time, until I come back in. The bag seems to be a little worse.

Am I missing something? What do y’all use instead and is anything better?

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I have a lifetime that I bought from Walmart on sale. I think I grabbed it for 75 dollars or so. It will hold ice 3 or 4 days.

I don’t really get the yeti stuff. For just day trips I still use the cheap red and white cheap ass ones.

Ice is like a 1.50 for 20 pounds. No need in spending 400 dollars to keep it from melting if you’re not doing crazy camping adventures.

cpninja likes this.
  3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

the Yeti bag with the shoulder straps is the worst made cooler of all coolers. Getting things in and out is a pain and it holds next to nothing.

Tenacious D likes this.
  4. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Mods, please merge with the Bigfoot thread.

5. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I’ve got a couple of RTIC coolers and they keep my beer cold.

InVolNerable and kmf600 like this.
  6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Pre cool the cooler the night before

7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

This. And pre cool the contents the night before putting them in the cooler.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The first Yeti Hopper was complete shit, so I got the second version when the zipper broke on the first POS version. It’s slightly better. Mine will hold a case a beer for a day, so it’s good for the lake, that’s about it.

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Bingo. And don’t store it in your garage.

kmf600 likes this.
  10. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I’ve got one and I don’t use it unless I need stuff kept multiple days. Not worth the hassle for just a day.

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

All soft coolers suck. I have a $30 Coleman from Costco and I’ll put warm beer and ice in it in the morning and it barely melts by the next day.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’ve got a tumbler. It’s pretty awesome. Never felt like it was necessary to drop the $ on one of the coolers

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

don't know why they make cooler handles so low you have to lean down, or take a couple shots off the heel

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Buy Orca, not yeti

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We have a Coleman Xtreme and I put ice in it Saturday for the party. Ice was still in it this morning. Not much, but it was still there.

Cannot believe Yetis are worth the price tag.

17. Tenacious D

I keep the Yeti inside, in air conditioning, before using it. I’ve supplemented the ice with one of those arctic ice bags (re-usable bag that you can re-freeze, and it still loses 90% of the ice in app. 6-8 hours.

It’s so shitty at keeping ice that I’ve honestly wondered if the damn thing is somehow defective.

And, as long as I’m [itch bay]ing, can I also say that there isn’t shit for room in a Yeti? Those thick walls come at a cost in space. Oh, and I also dislike how Yeti names it’s coolers in numeric units like “45”, which I’m sure they know conveys some meaning to what it can actually hold...but which isn’t really an actual measurement of what it holds. My “45” actually only has 33 quarts of space.

My wife bought it for me for my birthday two years ago, and I’m glad to have it, but I guess I just expected a lot better performance, given both that it just sits in the shade on my boat, and given the enormous overhype that Yetis seem to universally get.

18. Tenacious D

Hammers had some Orcas last year.

On the same display, they had a huge stack of all standard-sized coolers:

Brown Orca coolers: $75
    Blue Orca coolers: $75
    Gray Orca coolers: $75
    Orange bodied / white lid Orca coolers: $250

I asked the lady if there was something different about the orange and white ones, other than color and she said no, but that I’d better grab that one, as those sold out fast.

It’s honestly shit like this that I love about Tennessee fans.

kmf600 and justingroves like this.
  19. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I have a yeti and rtic, both hold ice for days. The 2nd day, the ice is usually frozen together and I have to break it up to get anything in or out of it, even when I leave them on the patio outside.

Do you go in and out of it a lot, and do you leave the drain plug in or out?

My one complaint it, they are heavy as all get out.

20. Tenacious D

I keep the plug in, except when I’m draining it. It gets normal use, I guess, and is only opened to grab a drink and then closed / with the lid latched down.