POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

it's a focus on the future- less services and state opportunities, more debt. it's not a recipe of a superpower.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

does revenue not generally increase over time, along with GDP?

3. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

The article originally posted was discussing 2018 individual tax revenue going up. 2018 Corporate taxes went down. You said that total tax revenue was up. Total 2018 tax revenue was down.

I do not think tax revenue figures are in for "today" (2019) for any meaningful analysis.

Edit: The WSJ article provides a fairly good description and pretty graph for those that like pictures.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Why does there have to be more debt? Less services is a good thing as far as I’m concerned

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It’s not supposed to when you make a tax cut according to democrats

6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I don’t know what percentage but a huge amount of that money went into stock buybacks.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/trump-tax-cuts-federal-revenues-deficits/

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Not correct. Stock buybacks didn’t go up by a higher percentage compared to prior year growth before the tax cut. It’s a nice talking point, but not based in reality.

9. TennTradition

I don’t know the answer but how does that compare to the 5 year average?

My company decreased workforce and increased share buybacks last year - so I guess the inverse of the mean compared to your data.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Right in line and what you would expect for a year where earnings went up 40 percent.

Very few companies decreased their workforce. Jobless claims were at all time lows at one point last year.

11. TennTradition

No doubt. Unemployment numbers kept working there way down including a rather large step down at one point.

Our earnings were most definitely not up 40%, thus the workforce comment.

It’s incredible what’s going on this year. Manufacturing is grinding to a halt since second half last year. Orders are horrible. Globally manufacturing continues to sink. Global oil demand growth won’t even break 1 MM barrels per day y/y growth this year by my estimation. We’ve only averaged about 0.7 growth for the first half of the year but I think that’ll tick up by year end. Still, the business of making things seems to be a very different world from what otherwise seems to be a strong services economy.

12. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Interesting presentations of data. Appears one is for "full calendar" year and other is "fiscal" year.

WSJ:
    WASHINGTON—Federal tax revenue declined 0.4% in 2018, the first full calendar year under the new tax law, despite robust economic growth and the lowest unemployment rate in nearly five decades.

The Treasury Department said Wednesday federal revenue totaled $3.33 trillion last year, while federal spending totaled $4.2 trillion, a 4.4% increase from the previous year.

IBD:
    Overall, federal revenues came in slightly higher in FY 2018 — up 0.5%.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Not sure. I haven’t seen any statistics to show manufacturing slowing in this country.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Well I see little chance this year won’t be the greatest in history given the trajectory and economic growth

15. TennTradition

It’s slowing but Europe and Asia are declining faster. Our feedstock prices are very attractive which is leading to attractive basic chemicals as well domestically. And we are coming of a higher high so to speak. But Europe manufacturing is contractionary. As is China. US is very close.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Us numbers are still in expansion territory. Europe is contracting

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/03/ism-manufacturing-index-52point1-vs-53-est.html

17. TennTradition

Yeah I’m familiar with them. We (US) are gliding down with the rest of the globe but we started from a higher level. Europe already there. China already contractionary. Most are forecasting global contraction with numbers gliding into 48-49 territory. US should be able to remain slightly expansionary. It’s a very different story than other aspects of the economy.

droski likes this.
  18. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Joe Biden, the odds on favorite to win the Democratic nomination, says he will cure cancer if elected President. Can you imagine what this goon will say during live debates? At least he will have Rachel Maddow tossing him softballs while she laserbeams Trump.

19. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

That's almost as good as inventing the internet

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Biden is the liberal version is Trump.

Beating a complete [uck fay]ing moron with a complete [uck fay]ing moron is certainly an interesting strategy. Basically, does America want to keep their idiot, or get a new idiot?