Soccer Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tvolsfan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yes, when you dedicate your entire career toward achieving the goal of making the USWNT squad, then toward qualifying for the World Cup, then toward scoring a goal on the largest stage your profession has to offer, you are correct. It’s got to be pretty amazing, and worth celebrating. Glad you quit yelling at the sky and finally came around to agreeing with me.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Are they asking for the same amount of money as the men? Or are they asking for the same percentage of revenue that the men receive?

I feel that’s an important piece of information and I don’t know enough about the lawsuit to comment on specific numbers.

In my opinion though, there’s really only one National Team that deserves to be paid anything right now.

3. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Agreed. And I’m tired of all the asinine comparisons to the men.

4. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Pretty sure they are asking for the same amount as the men, and a higher percentage of revenue.

The best argument for them is honestly that the men don’t need the money due to their club contracts being far more lucrative. Trying to argue equality won’t change economic realities.

5. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I mean, I get that. But when I see how Messi celebrated his first world cup goal (to go up 6-0 against Serbia) and how the Germans celebrated the destruction of Brazil, this felt more than a little over the top. And Serbia and Brazil fielded teams of actual professionals.

6. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I disagree with much of the last page and a half. The USSF is so rotten and incompetent on the men's side. It's no Utopia from the women's side but they at least get results. The men's side is catering to franchise soccer and pay to play, which only serves to stifle domestic talent and has only brought the rest of concacaf up to our level. I hope they lose the lawsuit and the women get equal pay. 4-5 years ago, I'd never miss a usmnt match. I cared about it much more than any other form of soccer I followed. Especially because there was hope, there was ambition. Now it's just fleecing money and tertiary to the growth of the sport in the US. It's clear that missing last year did [uck fay] all to motivate the ones in charge.

7. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

It would be asinine if we're talking about the German, or British, or Brazilian, or hell even the Japanese women's team. Because their men's teams and federations are successful, and are competent. The women are reigning world champions, the world's preeminent power, with some of the biggest names in the sport. And the men's side is not only not qualifying for the WC, in the easiest federation to do it in, but getting surpassed by countries with barely professional leagues if any at all. They're spending a [uck fay]ing year on their most important hire in history and it's Gregg [uck fay]ing Berhalter? And you're telling me the men deserve to make more because they're more marketable?

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm saying it's apples and oranges. Hell, a large number of teams in the women's own region they play are, basically, if not fully, amateur teams. Qualifying for The women is pretty much a matter of beating teams like Jamaica and Trinidad and Tibago, who have needed last minute funds from people to even travel to tournaments (And, the ladies still almost failed to qualify in 2011). They shouldn't be compared to the men, it's an entirely different environment. Plus, the details of the current deal for the women have clauses for things like maternity leave. Apples and oranges.

I'm just tired of hearing every time there's a story about the women "Well, if the men's team...". Just give it a rest, people. I saw political figures, actors and others say "The women scored 13 goals in one game, more than the men in the last 4 World Cups combined.", as if they were remotely comparable.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    tvolsfan likes this.
  9. Unimane

Other than Pugh, the late goals were by those who has already been there and done that multiple times. Fine, I get you will excuse any sort of behavior and think anything goes, but I don't. Against a team not made up of amateurs, that shit would end up with Rapinoe getting a hard tackle and deservedly so. It's trashy. Saying they have worked so hard and the moment is so big is probably the weakest argument I've heard.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It’s not about that. It’s simple economics.

11. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Yup. They were unquestionably just stat padding at the end. Goal differential was well in the bag. They just saw easy goals to add to their tallies.

12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

According to this article in 2010 and 2011 World Cups the men's purse was 9% of revenue, while the women's purse was 13%. Seems like the women got a better deal.

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/world-cup/equal-pay-womens-world-cup-players-seriously

NorrisAlan likes this.
  13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Anybody can do it. It’s no big deal.

Get the [uck fay] outta here.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Let off the gas, win, say, 8-0 instead of 13-0. Ok fine.

Until Sweden doesn’t let off the gas, wins their match 13-0, tops the group bc they’re +5 on goal differential and get the easier knockout round matchup.

15. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a scenario where goal differential actually came down to two teams trying to beat another team by 10+. The USA was plenty safe by 8-9.

16. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

He’s not saying anyone can do it, he’s saying he doesn’t think it’s a great argument for the celebrations.

Unimane likes this.
  17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Until they’re not. The point is, you don’t let off because you don’t what’s going to happen in the future.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Right and so because not everybody can do it, those that can should be able to celebrate their achievements any way they chose.

It’s not a weak argument, it’s the fact of the matter. He just doesn’t want to accept it.

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I agree that they should be able to celebrate how they choose. That doesn’t mean they can’t be criticized for it.

20. Unimane

No, it doesn't absolve them from me, or anyone, calling them out on making asses of themselves. There's no line to cross? If they had gone and done some dance in front of the Thai bench would you have said it's ok because they can't be expected to control emotions in the moment of their World Cup dreams coming true? Hell, the Germans even decided at the half of the 7-1 thrashing of Brazil to not embarrass their opponent.

I perfectly get your explanation. I just think it's weak and there are some obvious situations where showing your ass isn't warranted, like Rapinoe's 9th goal celebration, which you just don't seem to understand.