POLITICS Jon Stewart - First Responders Speech

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Unimane, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Perhaps one of the best takedowns of Congressmen I've seen. For whatever you think of his politics, his dogged pursuit for benefits and well being of the First Responders is genuine and commendable.

2. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

The fact that they're still having to fight for this is atrocious, IMO. The fact that the Congress benches were half empty, is just a reflection of how incompetent and gutless our representatives are at this point. What's worse is that not only is it the right thing to do, it's [uck fay]ing free political capital. A politician will spend thousands, if not millions to bang the "I'm for the people" or "I'm for America" drum on a 30 second ad when they could actually show the [uck fay] up and prove to us that they might not be talking out the side of their neck when it comes to some of the bravest men and women this country has ever seen? And this is the response?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

it happens constantly. we do it to veterans as an American tradition. we do it to children. we do it to the mentally ill. and the ill.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

New York City / State should have fixed this long ago.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

you don't think it should have been America first? weird.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

On this, we can agree.

7. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Stewart covered this as well. They weren’t chanting death to Tribeca.

8. Tenacious D

Now, you’re just being silly.

New York City / State should have long ago taken care of these people, and it’s shameful that they haven’t. That this is one of the wealthiest and most hyper-liberalized states in the country, and who so regularly pride themselves in advocating for workers rights and government-backed healthcare for all, as to make it part of their shared identity, is particularly galling.

If NYC / State won’t take care of these people, I’m not sure who else would or could. But they should, for certain.

It is not, however, a federal issue, insofar as I can see.

My guess is that if it were to possess any square inch of legal grounds by which to raise a claim that it was the responsibility of the Federal government, this matter would have been long settled in a courtroom with boring lawyers, and not required the spectacle of Jon Stewart berating Congress in an attempt to harangue them into voluntarily accepting responsibility for it, and now, ostensibly, having already given up on NYC / State doing so.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

you just said 9/11 is not a federal issue... Good luck with that. I'm just too damn silly to entertain that 9/11 is not a federal issue. talk about jumping the shark.

Poppa T and tvolsfan like this.
  10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

So, these were federal employees?

11. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

They’re American citizens trying to rescue victims of an attack on America. The federal government can easily cover the health care, but its pretty clear they don’t care about 9/11 anymore than they can exploit it for political gain. So it looks like Jon Stewart is trying to make it politically costly to ignore it.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

So, no.

13. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Why did we send troops overseas after 9/11? Isn’t it just a New York problem?

Also, should we blame Giuliani and call him a failure for his response to 9/11?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

why are we paying for subsidies and relief for midwest farmers? isnt that a Nebraska problem?

if an attack isn't a national problem, what is?

15. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I honestly don’t even know why they’re defending this failure. A small amount of effort and an almost unnoticeable amount of money in the federal government could solve this issue forever.

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

State/City of NY SHOULD have taken care of this for their employees. I have no issues with the fed funding it, though.

Ssmiff likes this.
  17. Tenacious D

By this logic, everything is or could be construed to be a Federal issue, or at least argued, IP.

If I fall while getting onto a plane, does the Federal government need to pay for my care - because they regulate the airline industry, set safety standards, subsidize some portion of the airport where it occurred, or just because it happened in the US?

What about the people who lost their homes and lives in the Gatlinburg fire, and which spread from a national park - the Feds on the hook there, too? What about the local fire departments who responded to those fires - are the Feds on the hook to cover the costs of those efforts?

Can a patient sue the Federal government for the malpractice of a physician whose medical school cost was acquired via federally-backed loans?

If I’m rear-ended by a driver carrying a $20 and which is both issued and backed by the Feds - should they pay to repair my car? What if the automobile that hit me was a Federal Express truck - do they then owe me double? Or is that double jeopardy?

The actions of these first responders - while inarguably equal parts valiant and heroic - were singularly done while serving as employees of those various local, city and Stage agencies who employed them, and no others. It is the sole responsibility of these employing agencies to now provide for their care, and it is their utter refusal and failure to do so which continues to cause harm to these first responders.

And no amount of wishful thinking or Jon Stewart’s ranting can demand otherwise.

Now, it can publicly shame them into assuming it - if they fall for it, and thereby setting a dangerous precedent in so doing - and frankly, which seems to be the singular aim of his efforts, again, in the complete absence of any other reasonable or legal recourse which would otherwise require it.

Like you, he wants to the Feds to pay for it because, well, he just wants them to...and the Feds have limitless money and will pay more...and shouldn’t be concerned about what a truly terrible precedent it will set...or other “reasons”, I guess.

That you skipped over my assertion that were there any basis for arguing that the Feds were responsible for this, that it’d have long been settled in a court, is as convenient as it is telling.

That the resident yellow-dog dipshits are liking your posting this “if I wish it were true, it then becomes true” sentimentality and other similar silliness never fails to make me smile.

Indy likes this.
  18. Tenacious D

No.

(The peskiest of all facts).

19. Tenacious D

Yes, because we need to provide for the continued protection and promulgation of the nation’s food supply, we should cover the healthcare and make other payments to all first responders during 9/11.

And any second responders, too.

17th responders.

Basically, the Feds should start giving $100 bills and free healthcare to anyone who visits the 9/11 memorial. Or wh

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think our logic and analysis are the same. what you see as a problem, i see as a feature.