College Program Worth Rankings

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by KingWebbsticles, May 21, 2012.

1. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I was shocked kentucky ranked so high in football revenue on that USA Today study.

3. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

i hate that UT is right below Auburn

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Despite being ahead of Auburn in almost every category. You can thank academics. Which is to say, you can thank US News and World Report

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

9 bowl tie-ins, 2 BCS bids, and a huge TV deal makes for a huge revenue share. Hell, Vandy is 50th in AD revenue, and they don't have an AD.

6. cotton

Are you sure the pollsters are the people at fault here?

7. Tar Volon

Does Auburn have any reputation as a strong academic school? If there is, I'm not aware of it. If there isn't, they sure made it pretty high on these rankings (well ahead of Georgia, which I thought was actually pretty decent), which were based on US News and World Report. Now Tennessee being terrible at the academic measure doesn't help either.

8. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

I've always been under the impression that Auburn had a pretty good academic program.

9. Tar Volon

May've just been something I missed then

10. cotton

1. I'm of the opinion that relative rankings between state schools of roughly equivalent academic stature doesn't matter all that much.

2. I always find it odd that when people want to slam the rankers because they didn't get the ranking they want, especially in an enormous, amorphous blob that rests somewhere between "really good" and "not so good." It's a bit like [itch bay]ing about the idiots who vote in the AP because they ranked WVU a spot ahead of Penn St at the bottom of the top 25.

11. Tar Volon

I must be misreading you, because this sounds like it's supporting my initial idea that there's not 30 spots of separation between UT and Auburn (or most any of the roughly equivalent state schools) and that the US News and World Report rankings makes it look like there's a much bigger difference than there is.

12. cotton

My point is that arguing you should be 82nd instead of 101st means there isn't much of an argument, and I can't find fault with the folks at the rankings service for putting UT approximately where it belongs.

13. Tar Volon

So if a difference of 20 spots isn't much of a difference, I'd imagine you'd think the folks creating this little metric should shrink the gaps in the academic rating? Or perhaps shrink the gaps between the various tiers? Because 20 spots in the other metrics (football ability, revenue, attendance, etc) seems to mean more.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

There are an awful lot of colleges out there. I'd imagine it wouldn't take much a change in metrics to jump 20 spots. the real hard part is getting into that top tier group (if you aren't already there) and staying there.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

The ratings are pretty meaningless outside of the bottom and top, end of story. If I were a university, I would refuse to participate and sue them if they tried to include my school anyway.

16. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Im quite surprised that they were able to get all of this information from every one of these schools.

17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I agree with this 100%. The rankings are bullshit from top to bottom, imo. Cotton also has a point that crying about being 103rd instead of 95th is equally bullshit.

18. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

US News and World Reports rankings of academics are probably about the most overblown ranking there is. It is largely a reputation ranking that lags reality by about 10 years and in some ways more. With that said, hiring practices often lag reality as well. So, choosing schools based on them is not necessarily misguided from an employment standpoint, but for the education....that may be another story. National Research Council tends to be more up-to-date with regard to student success metrics, but the entire enterprise is tricky business.

I know that USNWR does not even begin to enter the discussion in our recruiting efforts...however we do throw around NRC rankings.

19. The Forbes college rankings are the most laughable.