WoW Classic

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by fl0at_, Jun 9, 2019.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Mages in WoW can craft food and water, and are always, always being hit up for food and water. And portals, as Norris said.

2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

My buddy played a mage as an alt at that time. When we were bored we'd sell portals. We'd stand on top of each other while one of us opened a portal to where they wanted to go and the other would open one to Darnassus. We'd cancel the portal they wanted right before it was opened while they unknowingly traveled to the end of the world. After listening to them [itch bay]ing over whisper for a few minutes we'd offer to go pick them up and send them where they wanted to go for an additional fee. That was the good old days.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

When you'd run an instance party members would start immediately [itch bay]ing at mages to make them some food and water. Food restored health, water restored mana.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I played a hunter mostly in Vanilla. Had a dwarf hunter (my first 60) and an orc hunter (the guy I probably played the hardest and did the most on). But I also was an altoholic, and had all my slots full of guys that were between 30 and 50th level. Also had a 60 human paladin whom I quit playing because before the 1.9 revamp, they were boring as sin.

5. NorrisAlan

Wait till they all want a summons and a healthstone. And that shit costs soul shards, something you have to farm as a warlock!

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

you're sinning wrong

7. NorrisAlan

Its a paladin. What do you expect?

8. fl0at_

I think we've met, asshole.

IP likes this.
  9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

After an instance I'd start to open a port and my buddy would kick the annoying asshat from group right before it was completed. That joker would have to watch everyone else take the portal back to civilization that he couldn't touch while be stranded, alone out in BFE. Then Blizzard has to ruin it by adding the Dungeon Finder.

10. fl0at_

Haze your guildmates doing a variant: if you are doing a quick dungeon, and you have a newbie, get him to harth, and tell him to go get some minor potion off the AH and you'll summon him back.

After the instance is done, kick him and portal out.

Now he's really stuck until his cool down is over.

11. fl0at_

Went realm by realm until I found my main. Sorted a-z. Was on Ysera. Figures.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

so what made you stop playing completely?

13. fl0at_

The expansions. I was always behind the level cap, with only enough time to casually play.

WoW is a social game. You can play solo. If you don't mind dying a lot, and not being able to complete some quests.

Which is tough for casual players.

14. NorrisAlan

I was on Durotan. The new realms for Classic will have all original names, so you will not be able to play on Ysera again.

For me, it was around the Warlords of Draenor expansion. The game had been dumbed down so badly and all RPG aspects removed, that it was now just a Diablo style game. Very boring. The game literally told you where to go, what to do and how to do it with arrows, glowing stuff and pointers. It became impossible to die in the outside world and the need for social interaction had dropped to near zero. It became a single player game on an MMO platform.

B O R I N G

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

what do you consider RPGs aspects? it is interesting that you and float kinda give opposite reasons, regarding single player vs required socializing

16. NorrisAlan

I'll just look at one class: Hunter.

Hunters are a ranged class that use guns/bows to attack their enemies and also have animal companions that they bond with and adventure with.

In Vanilla:

Your hunter started by himself and had to get to level 10 before getting a quest to learn how to tame a wild animal to be your companion. Your bow/gun required ammunition. When people got too close to you, you couldn't use your ranged weapon and had to resort to a melee weapon. You had to feed your pet or it ran away for ever. You had to train your pet new abilities. You had cool abilities like Eyes of the Beast that let you look through your pet and control it directly.

Today:

You start off with a pet and you can use your bow on people literally 1 foot from you. And you have about 5 abilities.

And this is just off the top of my head.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

gotcha. that sounds like the general trend of games over the past 20 years.

18. fl0at_

I was gone well before. I pretty much checked out after the first expansion.

I would have sworn my highest toon was a max 70. Was shocked to find it was 80 (second expansion). Because I don't remember playing to 80 (which means I probably didn't).

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

so you would share characters to lessen the grind?

20. fl0at_

And you had to actually level your melee. If you didn't get in occasional melee fights, when you did, the mob would just dodge all your weak blows.