WoW Classic

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by fl0at_, Jun 9, 2019.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I botted.

2. fl0at_

I might have also jumped on one of the expansions where Blizzard offered to automatically up your level for free.

Which is also possible. But I wouldn't have stuck around, because I would have had no idea how to play the game.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

lol, so you had a ghost character. you were gone never to return, but your bot labored on.

I think any game in which you feel that you must fake "playing" to continue to enjoy the game has a deep flaw. "Time" has become what skill/muscle memory once was for advancing through content. I don't like grinds. I'd rather the gates be puzzles or skills. but that can lead to shorter total gameplay and thus perceived content.

to me, level/skill progression is fun, but it shouldn't be based on a time grind and at the end, playing the game itself ought to be nuanced enough that progression isn't needed to bring you back to play.

MMOs lean on the grind for "content" rather than creating meaningful open-ended gameplay.

4. fl0at_

Ugh. I wanted to re-roll on Blackingwing Lair.

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I enjoyed the slower pace of the early games. BC was my favorite expansion; WOTL wasn't bad. The game lost me with Cataclysm. I enjoy a little bit of grinding, not a fan of dumbing everything down and streamlining it, but that's the landscape of games today.

6. fl0at_

Original WoW, I don't think relied on grinding for content.

I think it helped people explore these massive worlds, and at the same time give them something to do.

There was plenty to do in vanilla, if you wanted to go at a slower pace. But since everyone was rushing to 60, a lot of stuff got skipped.

I haven't played a dungeon over level 45 or 50 or so. But the content was there.

Some things are grinds. And sometimes levels feel like a grind. But that's just because we're impatient.

reVOLt likes this.
  7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

What made Vanilla and TBC the best is that that the grinds were at your own pace. Now, you have daily quests that reset each day and you can only do once a day, so if you don't log in every single flipping day you feel like you have lost out.

It is a stupid system and is beyond broken at this point. Classic WoW is going to breathe a much needed breath of fresh air into the MMO genre, and games in general. The entire gaming industry (at least the AAA companies) are in a nose dive right now because of how they have run the companies over the last 5-10 years.

IP likes this.
  8. fl0at_

Blizzard has managed to create a perpetual motion machine.

In 2-3 years, they'll re-release TBC. Then WoTLk. Then Cata. Etc.

And in 15 years, on the 30th anniversary, we'll get Classic, again.

9. NorrisAlan

Classic will never be replaced. If they run up a TBC classic it will be in parallel to vanilla classic.

10. fl0at_

There is only so many times they can force us to start at level 1 again before we say no more.

Which is why I don't think TBC goes parallel, but replaces.

11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

They could let you transfer a classic character to a BC server. Basically give you an update without forcing you to update. But I have a hard time seeing the classic player pool being big enough to allow for parallel servers.

I'll be curious to see the number of classic users at the end of the calendar year. I'm sure a lot of the younger audience will create characters and hate the game because it takes thought and strategy. They won't be used to having to plan pulls in an instance because you can't melt everything and have to consider aggro and healers going oom.

reVOLt likes this.
  12. NorrisAlan

If they upgrade all of the Classic servers, they just open the need for private servers again and defeats the whole "museum" aspect of Classic. I think they will definitely have transfer to TBC servers, but only Blizzard knows. And it is years away anywho.

13. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Quit a long time ago after TBC....logged in one time to get the auto level to max.

Think I had a max Druid (main), max warlock and max Hunter....plus all the alts at various stages.

I loved raiding back in the day where the entire guild had to plan out the strategy for final boss fight and it might take you weeks of raid nights to take down the final boss.

With that said...I'm too old for that shit anymore.

14. NorrisAlan

What is going to be interesting is I will have more free time this time around than I did 14 years ago. I won't have a baby in diapers and another on the way, and they can feed themselves now!

15. fl0at_

You're the guild leader that's gonna be like "Why can't you guys just play 8 hours a night? I'm here."

Completely forgetting how it used to be for you...

16. NorrisAlan

Oh hell no.

10 hours a night...

IP likes this.
  17. fl0at_

Decided to see how the new version of this game is by rolling a level 1, cause its free to play til like level 20 or something.

Goodness... they even show you the mobs you need to attack to get quest drops.

Attached Files:

18. NorrisAlan

Current wow is a horrible game.

19. fl0at_

I've fallen back in to old habits already. I've been reading the Classic forums.

One kid on there had a thread like "Blizzard don't ban me" and then goes on to say he'll be playing 5 days straight without sleep so he can hit 60.

Those who had never played vanilla were like "No, man, the body needs sleep."

The old school folk said "You can't do it in a week."

20. fl0at_

Hah, my level 5 rogue got a now-a-day equivalent of a HK on a 120 mage.

I tagged him in goldshire and then someone else actually killed him.