POLITICS New Tennessee Days of Celebration

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Unimane, Jul 12, 2019.

?

Who or What Should be the New Days of Celebration in Tennessee

Poll closed Jul 22, 2019.
  1. Ida B. Wells

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Alvin York

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Wilma Rudolph

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Tina Turner

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Cordell Hull

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Nashville Movement

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Perfect 36

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  8. Ben West

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. James Lawson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Myles Horton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

So, I came across this piece of information today regarding official "special days of celebration" in our state.

So, we have six days of celebration here in Tennessee for these people or entities:

- Abraham Lincoln
    - Andrew Jackson
    - Veterans Day
    - Confederate Memorial Day
    - Nathan Bedford Forrest
    - Robert E. Lee

As much as I hate Andrew Jackson, I'm going to leave him out of this and focus on the last three.

1. Confederate Memorial Day - Honoring treason and the creation of a government to preserve slavery through Lost Cause idolatry.

2. Lee - Leader of treasonous army to preserve slavery. Not even from Tennessee, nor fought here.

3. Forrest - The worst piece of shit of them all. Millionaire before the war through the slave trade. Overrated Confederate general. Responsible for brutal war crimes, like the Fort Pillow Massacre, cold blooded murder/execution of a black servant of a Union official in Murfreesboro and other murders of black Union soldiers. First Grand Wizard of the KKK who used violence and murder to intimidate lawful voters during Reconstruction. Racists organizations loved him and he has more monuments across the state than any other person.

That Governor Lee refuses to realizes this needs to be changed is idiotic and outrageous, so we are going to help him. We are going to pick three replacements for these days for Lee and Tennessee to be more in line with 21st century thinking as well as better people/organizations/ideas to celebrate as part of our 6 days of celebration.

First of all, we need to decide on a criteria for who and what qualifies. Does this person need to have been born and raised in Tennessee? Can they just live here for a short time and have a significant influence on the state (Like, say, Diane Nash)? Can they have their time in Tennessee as a major influence in their life, even if their actions were done elsewhere (Like a W.E.B. DuBois)? Do they need to have a connection to the state, at all?

Next, of course, we need names/ideas/entities. I'm going to create a poll, which will fluctuate for a day or two as we get the right entries for the limited number of spots, and want people to vote for three.

Alright, so, I'll list my entries below to get it going.

- Ida B. Wells
    - Wilma Rudolph
    - Tina Turner
    - James Lawson
    - Myles Horton (started Highlander Folk School for civil rights)
    - Ben West
    - Z. Alexander Looby
    - Cordell Hull
    - Alvin York
    - Nashville Movement
    - Perfect 36 Day (Tennessee becomes the state to clinch women's right to vote)

2. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Dude, I don't know nor give a shit about anyone on this list outside of York. With the exception of a runner and Ike Turner's punching bag, this reads like a list of middling progressive/civil rights personalities that never did anything outside of their niche political cause. Alvin York was a [dadgum]ed war hero that used his celebrity towards the betterment of poor Tennesseans.

dc4utvols likes this.
  3. Unimane

You don't know any of them, but know the rest are middling progressives with niche causes? I think this is a pretty good starting point with room for more suggestions.

A couple of these people, Wells and Lawson, are pretty noteworthy historical figures in American history. The Nashville Movement was a huge part of the 60s non-violent protest movement. Wells did a number of things, but must famously was such a strong advocate for anti-lynching she was run out of Memphis around the turn of the century.

Hull was FDR's Secretary of State for the Depression and WW II, plus win a Nobel Peace Prize. We have some options here.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dolly [uck fay]ing Parton

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hull has a dam named after him, I feel that's pretty good.

dc4utvols likes this.
  6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Gov Lee followed the law, so him signing it isnt idiotic and outrageous.
    Hes also been in politics for a short time.
    You expect him to change this law in months. Why did dems did not change this law in prior years?
    Throwing it on him while calling him an idiot and outrageous is out of line.

GahLee and dc4utvols like this.
  7. Unimane

He's a [uck fay]ing idiot for this, deal with it. What are they going to do if he refuses to sign it, arrest him? Impeach him? The Nebraska governor refused to sign a proclamation for a book earlier this year because it criticized Trump. A Minnesota mayor refused to sign a proclamation honoring a gay pride parade. It isn't unprecedented. A member of Tennessee's legislature introduced a bill in 2015 to end the day of recognition for Forrest and was shot down.

Plus, the bigger problem is his tone deafness to getting rid of the honoring of a slave trading, treasonous war criminal. He's not looking into it, he says. Even Bill Haslam said the bust of Forrest in the capital building should go. And, I give [uck fay] all regarding your "whataboutism" of other governors. They shouldn't have signed it, either, but they aren't in charge now and can't do anything to change the law. And, 95% of my problem is the comments by Lee on the law and proclamation.

So, again, these days need to go and it is only "out of line" if these lawmakers and governor don't stop listening and pandering to these neo-Confederate organizations. There are significantly better people and options out there, so the point here is to suggest something or someone to put in the place of the undeserving Confederate honorees.

tvolsfan likes this.
  8. Unimane

Replace Hull on the list with Parton?

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

If it’s true mlk laughed about women being raped in front of him and had sex with minors would you be ok getting rid of mlk day?

GahLee and RockyHill like this.
  10. Unimane

It would be worth discussing, but he's much different in the fact he actually did a ton of good for people and the country, unlike these Confederates. Relying on the corrupt Hoover and his vendetta to undermine figures like King make me very suspect about any of those accusations, too. But, sure, I'd be fine with not honoring a rapist.

Does this also mean you would be in favor of not honoring those American figures who also raped people? Guys like Thomas Jefferson?

droski likes this.
  11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

What's the penalty for him not following the law?

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Finally, the only question that matters.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Amazing no democrat presented a bill to end it last session. Imagine if that bill didnt get to see the floor.

Of course, having something to [itch bay] about it better than solving issues though.

GahLee and dc4utvols like this.
  14. fl0at_

I think the issue is more that it is amazing that therewasn't a race by all parties to present a bill.

tvolsfan likes this.
  15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've, sadly, given up on GOP as a whole in Tennessee to show any commin sense on things such as these.

16. Unimane

There was a Democrat in 2015 to propose an end to the day, but it failed. Haslam also sought to remove Forrest's bust from the capital building. I remember Bredesen getting flak, too, for this.

The first of what I was saying is this is terrible to have these three days and to decide who we think should replace them.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm sure I am guilty of saying stuff like this as well, but couldn't you always say something like this? in the end, yesterday is always better than today, but today is better than tomorrow or never.

18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Dont know. What about the past 2 decades?
    I know Bill Lee and Mcwhorter who is with him. They arent idiots.

19. fl0at_

Vouched for, eh?

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Auburn grad, [uck fay] Auburn