Albert Haynesworth

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NorrisAlan, Jul 11, 2019.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

That sucks.

Maybe the guy who's face he stomped on is a match and would be willing to donate.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Going to become a bigger societal issue with the amount of diabetics now.

4. NorrisAlan

Dear god, cannot even talk about a VFL in danger of his life without bringing up politics.

warhammer, Butthole, MaconVol and 2 others like this.
  5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Big Al was just at Tin Roof 2 a couple weeks ago. Maybe he was in the [uck fay]it stage.

6. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I think he's been in and out of that stage for awhile.

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Hate to hear that.

Hoping for the best.

dc4utvols likes this.
  8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

warhammer likes this.
  9. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Best wishes for Haynesworth. He and big John were a pair like we'll probably not see again playing next to each other.

Tenacious D, dc4utvols and A-Smith like this.
  10. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

I don't know Albert, as I am 50, but we went to the same High School in SC. I lived in SC for 7 years and graduated from Hartsville before returning to TN to attend TTU. When UT was recruiting him I told my sister that our parents needed to invite him over for dinner to help seal the deal. She was a PE teacher at the time at another school and she said she had Albert's girlfriend (probably had more than one LOL) in her class and that he was all Vol.

So I have followed him with both his ups and downs including his embarrassing behavior. Would love to meet him someday and talk about coach Sanders (RBs) my no nonsense PE teacher, the Red Foxes, and if I can get away with poking the bear, kid with him about Theo's Pleasure club.

Perspective: Fame, Wealth, Athlete and his health/kidneys go out one weekend after years of decline

I am a youtube star LOL from 1985
    I played Trumpet and stomped all over Williams Brice before kakilacky joined the SEC:

Tenacious D likes this.
  11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I seem to recall that he was wearing a purple LL Bean backpack with “BIG AL” embroidered on the back in hot pink thread the first time I saw him. They gave him massive shit for it, and he took it well, only saying that his grandmother(?) bought it for him before he left for Tennessee, and he continued to wear it even after he had his gear issued.

That said a lot to me, about him, however brief of a glimmer as it was.

dc4utvols likes this.
  12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

He loves to go Jeeping. I’ve meet him a few times riding.

He’s a big man. He’s also been extremely nice and a bit of a redneck the times that I’ve meet him.

dc4utvols and justingroves like this.
  13. NorrisAlan

Guy at work shares a boat dock with him. Days he would give you the shirt off his back.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

does he still have that sweet red boat?

15. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I don’t think so. My parents live close to a mile from Fort Loudon. You could hear him going down the lake from our house. I did watch him about take out some kids who’d fallen off a tube in the middle of the channel one day.

16. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Hartsville is a company town with lots of rich people who work for Sonoco Paper Products. It also has a Nuke plant. Oddly for a small own the HS had near 2-3000 students and my grad class was 320 .

Redneck...well one of the biggest redneck/white trash guys in my HS was from a very wealthy family and his mother would literally drag him into church on Sundays. He never came to Sunday school. Hartsville may have had wealthy people but many had a trailer park mentality regardless of financial status. Others were salt of the earth and you would have never known that they had money. I used to sell fruit to raise money for band every year to one of the VPs of Sonoco.

Most of the African Americans in town were dirt poor but I believe Albert's family was solidly middle class

Another oddity is that there were at least 3 families with ties to Cumberland County TN living there at the time I was there. One of the HS history teachers was George Edwards the son of Gen George Edwards

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Favorite memory was him calling out Cosey Coleman in his first practice snap at UT.

Agree with Cotton too, 2001 was as good as it will ever get at D tackle, and that was with Syracuse going at Big Johns ankle first game.