POLITICS TN Senate Race

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Jul 11, 2019.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

With Haslam dropping the shocker in the newspapers today, this is going to make for a very interesting race.

I have no idea who the GOP favorite is now.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

He doesn’t feel particularly called / lead to be a Senator, he worries that he’d struggle as a member of a legislative body, and thinks he best serves in an Executive role. He’s probably right, and you have to respect his self-awareness, if nothing else.

Never speak if you don’t have to, and if you must speak, make it worth the political cost that those words will require, at the very least. Particularly when speaking out against those who wield more power, influence, whose help is essential to your political fortunes, and who have long, long memories.

And when you get perfect - perfect - timing, definitely don’t chop off your own [penis] in a futile effort to make a useless point.

Perhaps it’s good to be reminded that a good man and a good politician are two entirely different things, and that if you want to get a shot, it’s preferable to be both...but given the choice between the two, you’d damned well better be the latter, first and foremost.

A great politician can be a personally unapologetic SOB, and win elections. A good man who is a terrible politician - and who makes terrible political decisions - probably needs to worry about doing other shit, instead.

He’ll be back, as time away tends to affect what you once thought you were weren’t called to do, and as I think that he hints in his letter, “..in the next season of my life.”

I’ll bet you that this next “season” in his life runs damned near five years, until 2024.

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

That’s a reasonable take, TD. My take, shaded by my absolute disdain for the president, was ‘who would want to be anywhere near Washington for the next 5 years’. Of course his challenge is timing - does he want to run against an incumbent.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Nashville politics will keep Haslam from ever even getting a nomination.

He also doesn't bring a whole lot as a VP.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

To clarify:

The complete absence of any sexual relationship existing between myself and Beyoncé has neither derived from nor been perpetuated by any lack of desire on my part, or our geographic dissociation, whatsoever. Instead, it solely results from her persistent denial in offering the positive consent that such requires.

I can certainly tell you that it results from my choice to avoid it, as it might make me feel better, and you’d be welcome to believe me, or not.

I’d be curious to hear what “season” Senator Bob Corker thought he’d be in right now, too.