Podcasts

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Recent road trips uncovered a few decent podcasts. Anyone listen to these or want to add any others?

S-Town
    John despises his Alabama town and decides to do something about it. He asks a reporter to investigate the son of a wealthy family who’s allegedly been bragging that he got away with murder. But then someone else ends up dead, sparking a nasty feud, a hunt for hidden treasure, and an unearthing of the mysteries of one man’s life.

It’s not what it first seems, but very, very good.

Link: https://stownpodcast.org/

Ear Hustle
    Podcast by inmates at San Quinten State Prison. Pretty tame, all things considered, but good.

Conversations with People Who Hate Me
    Basically, a guy who tracks down people who’ve said mean things to him online, and they have an actual discussion about it. Crazy times, right?

2. cpninja

cpninja Member

The Dollop
    The Dollop is a bi-weekly American History Podcast. Every week, Dave Anthony reads a story to his friend, Gareth Reynolds, who has no idea what the topic is going to be about.

Hosted by a pair of comedians. Equal parts comedy and history. Kinda inconsistent quality-wise but the good ones are absolutely hilarious and the bad ones are still usually good enough to kill time with.

Link: http://thedollop.libsyn.com/

Serial(season 1)
    It's Baltimore, 1999. Hae Min Lee, a popular high-school senior, disappears after school one day. Six weeks later detectives arrest her classmate and ex-boyfriend, Adnan Syed, for her murder. He says he's innocent - though he can't exactly remember what he was doing on that January afternoon. But someone can. A classmate at Woodlawn High School says she knows where Adnan was. The trouble is, she’s nowhere to be found.

Same producers as S-Town. I enjoyed it a bit more than S-Town but it meanders on a bit too long in the last few episodes. Still highly recommend.

Link https://serialpodcast.org/season-one

3. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Freakonomics is my favorite followed closely by Radio Lab. Two of the highest quality podcasts you'll find.

4. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Planet Money is one I like to listen to on vacations. Interesting podcasts about random topics with an emphasis on economics/finance. Usually 20 minutes long and not over your head.

Serial Season 1 and S-Town were pretty great.

5. Tenacious D

Love Freakamonics, too.

I’ve started Serial this AM.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Y'all heard about American Fiasco? Story of 1998 American World Cup soccer team. Ten parts. Don't have to like soccer to enjoy it.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I like Radio Lab a lot.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Daves of thunder. lots of inside stuff, so it takes some listening to, but hilarious.

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Thanks!

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I listened to it a couple weeks ago. Good stuff. That team really self-destructed

11. bigjintx

bigjintx Chieftain

Shek republic or Feensters Union?

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

feensters union of course

bigjintx likes this.
  13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I would highly recommend Gladiator, by the Boston Globe Spotlight Team about Aaron Hernandez. The final episode, of 6, is released next week.

Also, Fall of a Titan, about Steve McNair is fantastic as well. It’s a bit more salacious than Gladiator, but it’s also excellent. It’s done by a reporter for SI. Keep listening past the first two episodes if you find yourself skeptical.

14. clownbaby

clownbaby kidbourbon version 2 point no

15. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

For college football:

Shutdown Fullcast w/Spencer Hall and other SB Nation folks

Podcast Ain’t Played Nobody w/ Bill Connelly and Steven Godfrey

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Anybody listening to Confronting OJ by Kim Goldman?

17. Tenacious D

Listened to the trailer and have downloaded, but haven’t listened to it.

I’m trying to finish Man In the Window (about the Golden State Killer) now, and that’s next on deck for me. It’s weird that I’d catch these back-to-back because I’m really not a true crime fan in most cases.

Would recommend Man in the Window, though.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I might get onto that one as I’ve got 8 hours in a car to kill this weekend.

The Goldman podcast is good. At this point there not much to rehash that we don’t already know, but i don’t recall having really heard their side of the story, at least not this in depth.

Simpson is a real piece of shit.

19. Tenacious D

I think I’m hesitant to listen to it for exactly that reason - I’m wondering how much there is to rehash, and that we don’t know.

Having listened to it, do you see anyone any differently than before, for better or worse?

How confident are you in OJ’s innocence or guilt, if at all?

Kato Kaitlin (sp?) and his role has always fascinated me - I’ve always felt like he knew more than he was willing to tell, and feared that he would give that away and possibly implicate himself. I don’t think he planned or helped in the actual murders themselves, but wonder if he definitively knew it was OJ, and couldn’t say so later, and particularly after having initially claimed that he didn’t / wasn’t sure.

Also, the actual Bronco is how housed and on display in the new crime museum in Pigeon Forge (alongside Ted Bundy’s VW bug, some JFK / Oswald memorabilia, etc.) and which is cool to see....even if only once. I wouldn’t make a trip up just for that, but it’s cool if you’re there and have an hour to kill.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I am incredibly confident in his guilt. There’s not a single doubt in my mind that OJ was likely in the middle of a rather huge blowup with Nicole at the time, and that Ron Goldman was simply a guy trying to do a good thing, at the absolute worst time, when that blowup came to a head.

Short of a full written confession with details confirmed by LAPD that only the killer would know (and I don’t know what’s out there that we don’t already know), there is nothing that will convince me OJ in innocent.

There’s a good interview in the pod with Kato Kaelin actually, and I wish they’d explored his relationship with both OJ and Nicole further. But this was more about Kim Goldman “exercising her demons” so to speak, so I get why they didn’t go Super in depth with him on that stuff.

There’s also a really good exchange with OJ’s now current attorney, who has also represented the Mayweathers among others.

Tenacious D likes this.