Fishing

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by justingroves, Aug 17, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

10 or 12 lived

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Carp are a garbage fish

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

They are dangerous, especially when pulling a skier or tube or running the lake at night. They will jump in the wake of the boat into whatever you are towing and sometimes into the boat. I can't imagine the damage a population like that has to be doing to the ecosystem. They've tried bounties here and programs to help people learn to like eating them or to process them into pet food, but so far, it's really hard to get the genie back into the bottle.

These are worse than garbage. They are a non-native waterborn equivalent to locusts. They are a plague on native fishstocks, aquatic vegetation, and recreational boaters.

https://www.bassmaster.com/conservation-news/kentucky-lake-s-asian-carp-crisis

kmf600 likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

bow fishing carp is fun.

there is no reason to ever leave a carp in the water. I'm with you, toss every one of them into the brush. let the birds and raccoons have them.

VolDad likes this.
  6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Everyone I've shared fish stories with this year have agreed, the sharks are relentless and the seaweed is out of control thick.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Wonder if the warming water is causing the seaweed to go wonkers.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's about the only thing I haven't done, but I have shot them like skeet when they get jumping in the backs of creeks.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Shark week has been good.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

not directly, they think it is due to higher nutrient levels in amazon river discharge and upwelling off of Africa. The nutrients aspect may be due to increased use of fertilizer, land use changes, or something else. they aren't sure. Much warmer water temps seem to negatively affect sargassum, but this is something that is only now getting a lot of research.

they do see reason to believe this may be a new normal, as these blooms leave larger seed populations for the next year.

The Atlantic had a good article on this on July 4th, you can probably find it online

kmf600 likes this.
  11. cotton

It's that time again... image000000_16.jpg

This year, to increase the degree of difficulty, I am doing it in a ski boat with a 9yeqr old.

CitrusCo.Vol and justingroves like this.
  12. cotton

I can tell by the responses that everybody is itching to know how it went, so I'll tell you--we caught one good fish and two little ones. The good fish was delicious. Also, I am missing a jug, and I'm pretty sure somebody found it in the middle of the lake and stole a fish off of it. Who would do such a thing?

Anyway, it was a little different running the jugs with a 9 year old rather than with a grownup and a bunch of beer, but it was fun. If I can locate a decent boat to do it in, I will try again in the fall. I'm also going to make every new jug out of a pool noodle going forward. It just makes managing hooks and lines a lot easier.

kmf600 and justingroves like this.
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

15. Ssmiff

Local pond?

16. Ssmiff

roatan this morn. Those people are hurting as the country has been shut down so the captain and his mate are taking my buddys boat out in morn then feeding a lot of people. No cruise ships or flights with tourists

Attached Files:

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Chattanooga at the in laws

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

19. Ssmiff

Friend at tims ford down that direction has been on fire.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance