Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

category 5 now. there is a running streak of underestimating these storms.

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

We’ve never seen a storm this strong this far north in the Atlantic.

Elbow Cay just saw a 185 mph land falling hurricane. There seems to one town on that outer island and he slammed into it with 20 ft storm surge.

Now we watch for the stall and hopeful turn.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So amazing.

utvol0427 likes this.
  4. TennTradition

Worried about Freeport tonight/tomorrow. That area on Abaco was actually fairly well built. Freeport has some of those but a lot of Freeport isn’t built to that standard.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I worked Abaco a while back after they got hit by a hurricane. That place was absolutely destroyed. We put a lot of powerlines underground, but the pictures I've seen today, look so much worse than what I saw back then.

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Screenshot_20190830-144233_Instagram.jpg this is real, someone actually tied their trees up.

7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

God hates me.

First UT. Then I had the entire week planned in Kiawah, now mandatory evacuations.

8. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Sorry to hear. Been a shitty week for sports and now weather. Would love to say clear skies ahead but...

9. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I’m gonna haul it over to the gulf tomorrow. Looking like it’ll be perfect over there.

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Hot and sunny this coming week. Ocean was too warm this weekend. Felt like a bath

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Almost looks fake

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Freeport is going to be wiped.

14. TennTradition

Well the stall occurred about 20 miles to the east favorably for Freeport. It’s still seeing high winds but reports from several hours ago were still looking ok there - strong gusts but manageable, which was shocking to me. Maybe that was a protected cove or something.

An eye-wall replacement cycle has been occurring. When that completes the higher wind speed will consolidate in what will be a larger eye and this will bring heavier winds to Freeport. If the storm starts pulling north before then they may kiss the worst.

15. TennTradition

That expanded eyewall does seem to be hitting. Freeport now, but the storm seems weaker today. Recon will likely find a very weak cat 5 or cat 4. But the replacement cycle seems to be closing so he could strengthen from here a bit before weakening again he hasn’t already cooled the waters around the island too much by stalling. Regardless, that’s a lot of time and wind for Grand Bahamas.

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Been called in to work twice today, and it's not terrible here. A little wind, a little rain. But just enough to not be able to have storm bourbon

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Some of you guys are real hurricanophiles.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Moving 1 mph. Seems impossible.

20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Seen JG run?

dknash, kmf600 and Ssmiff like this.