Where were you

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Ssmiff, Sep 11, 2019.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I spent a few hours last night going through and reading stories and watching a documentary. I was a bit wrecked.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Does anyone else remember the Fox News story with the wife of the window washer? She was frantically searching for him and was walking everywhere with a picture asking if anyone had seen him. I bet they ran that segment a dozen times in the week after it, and I probably saw it a dozen times. Of all the heart-breaking stuff I saw, this one just really, really got to me.

I have no idea if he survived, the only window washer I can find referenced that day spoke with his wife before the towers crashed. But man, other than seeing it for the first time when I walked down the stairs, that is one of the only other images seared into my brain from that time.

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Definitely remember that.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Went to early class, and was listening to some AM radio national sports call-in show on the drive in. Had class, didn’t hear a peep (this was before iPhone, Twitter, etc.) about anything, knew nothing. Left class to head to work, while the same type of national sports radio show droned on as background noise, and which I wasn’t really listening to. Heard caller say something about some player being traded / hurt / whatever, and the host said something like, “Listen buddy, given what’s going on in New York right, nobody cares about stuff like that right now!”, hung up on him and they immediately went to commercial break. It surprised me that he was so abrupt and I wondered why anyone called those shows. I assumed the host’s mentioning “What’s going on in New York...” just meant like some team dysfunction, an injured player, the normal shit.

Got to work, walked in the back door, only to find everyone in the office was standing and silently staring toward the door I’d just come in. I immediately stopped, because for a split second, it seemed like they were all just standing there in silence, waiting for me. They were just watching the tv mounted on the wall beside the door. Almost as soon as I asked what was going on, the second plane hit.

Even though I intellectually knew that my 6-year old daughter was hundreds of miles from NYC, and from danger, I was almost frantic to have her physically with me, and to make sure that she was safe. That I was so immediately and utterly unreasonably terrified, only further scared me. She was safe. I watched the news non-stop for two days, and 12-16 hours a day for a week afterwards.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

@XXROCKYTOPXX just so I can see the story again after the site migration

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I've got the "In Memoriam" doc and I've watched it countless times. The people so helpless that they jumped are haunting images. The story about the fire chief's wife in that documentary is like being able to transmit emotion via broadcast. You just feel her sorrow.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I think about "falling man" often, and what it must have been like up there, to jump head first, staring as the ground got closer. Not flailing his arms or screaming.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

One of my favorite stories from the countless acts of heroism to happen that day

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

What?

10. CardinalVol

Glad I'm not the only one. It's haunted me for 18 years.

I went to the 9/11 memorial when we went to NYC earlier this year, and I looked at every name to see on the .0001% chance that if I saw it it would ring a bell.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I haven't had any luck finding his 9/11 story since the site migration. Search feature doesn't hit anything before that time.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

13. CardinalVol

It really is. They were totally disconnected from the world up there. Just doesn't seem possible.

14. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

You are not alone. The images over that sad day and those that came out in the weeks after ranged from agonizing loss to those of great heroism. And the images of the loss were the ones that stick with me also.

I am trying to plan a trip to NYC soon and that the memorial site is a must see for me.

15. CardinalVol

Brother, when you go into the 9/11 part, it's tough. It's real tough. It's great, but it's tough.

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It incredibly moving to be there on somebody’s birthday, and see that flower placed on their name.

I can’t even describe the feeling standing at the FDNY 10 House, thinking about that day. What their men were doing, those that didn’t get to come home.

I encourage everybody to visit.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Last time I was in NYC (other than a few hours during a layover) was 03 I think... was still a big hole. Even that was moving. Statue of Liberty was still closed.

18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

19. CardinalVol

I love that the general at Barksdale had a ton of B-52s with nukes ready to go.

Tenacious D and lylsmorr like this.
  20. CardinalVol

Also - I'm buying the whole book. That looks incredible.