Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Boy wiffed on a kill shot last night. Wasn't as bad as I thought when I watched it on hudl this morning, but he still had a golden opportunity and was just a hair too late.

2. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

If you have a high level baseball or softball player and get the chance, make sure you attend a "High Level Throwing Camp" from Austin Wasserman. It was fantastic. I thought I knew a lot but the way he teaches throwing progressions was impressive.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

My fall ball baseball team might ruin me. Half the team is completely out to lunch. had a kid last night get within a foot of hitting his little brother in the head with his bat.

smokysbark likes this.
  4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm basically running a special ed football team this year.

It's been very humbling to say the least. I have to talk to one of my linemen like he's a caveman.

Block good; tackle bad. If you don't he just tackles the DL to the ground, I love the aggression though.

droski likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

Granted, he's 7, but I have one this year.

"Gun right, no play on three" Repeats 3 more times.

Goes to line, on one he jumps.

"What play did I call?" *blank stare* "No play?"

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i have to say "eyes on coach" or "concentrate" or "eye on the batter" every 30 seconds. i've never experienced something like this. my tball teams weren't this immature and spacey. at this point i'm hoping to not lose every game.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

This kid is in 7th grade and can't tie his shoe.

He's a 1 tech on defense. If he's in the game, he might line up between the guard and center. Or he might be playing free safety.

Deeps on gravity of the moon and how the spirit gets a hold of him.

NYY and justingroves like this.
  8. CardinalVol

Sounds like an interesting conversation.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't yell at him. He honestly can't help it and tries hard.. I've had some low ones before that I had to write R & L on their hands so they'd know which was right and left. But never anything like this.

Good kid but can't process anything.

10. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

It takes a minimum of a year of planning. These kids do not know what is done in the background to get this done, but it is worth every second and penny to see their joy.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That seems messed up.

12. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Supply and demand. Its also used as a fundraiser for their respective program.

13. CardinalVol

Boy's team did have a personal foul called on him because the biggest, most athletic kid on the team blocked a kid that was about 3 feet tall and the ref said he hit him open handed in the neck. Was as clean of a block as you could ask for given the height difference. He just drilled the kid.

When I asked what the ref's explanation was for the call, he just said the refs name, and I told him to say no more.

14. CardinalVol

Maryville/Alcoa day

Should be a dandy tonight.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's the best alcoa team they've had in a really long time.

16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

E tn play HS football on thurs nights?

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Awhile back i posted a pic of my son with his best buddy who was adopted from Africa at age 3ish. They met on the playground day one of 1st grade, both loved soccer and dinosaurs. The kid has been a stud soccer and 7 v 7 player for awhile. Broke Brentwood middle track records in 200 and relay as 6th grader in spring. They sent him out for football and he is as dominant as any middle schooler ive seen. I need to get some video. Literally looks like Eric Dickerson. They have him at rb because nobody can tackle him or catch him, but if he sticks with it, he will be a 6'5 wr one day and probably get offers as a 9th grader. Hes 5'9 145 right now in 7th grade. I assume already runs a sub 5 40.

18. CardinalVol

If Maryville can shut down the run, I like our chances. But that's easier said than done.

19. CardinalVol

TV game.

20. CardinalVol

O line totally dominated tonight. Was beautiful.