POLITICS Hong Kong Hullabaloo

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by DC Vol, Aug 13, 2019.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

They are complete trash. One of the worst trees you can plant.

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Not anytime soon, literally anyway. I would guess the Chinese are not that stupid. The military industrial complex would love for them to do that and start the next world war.

Figuratively, yeah absolutely. China has a cultish obsession with Hong Kong.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Had one branch fall last month in the middle of my front yard.

Last Friday another fell on the street.

We've already brought some one out and are on his list to come and take it down. I hate the thing. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

Tenacious D likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

we won't lift a finger for Hong Kong, nor will anyone else. that's the horror for those living there.

you may be thinking of Taiwan.

tvolsfan likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

And it's sad.

tvolsfan likes this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

it's awful beyond words. we are lucky to have been born when and where we were.

tvolsfan likes this.
  7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

If they "pave it", watch the human rights hawks circle.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

China doesn't care about human rights to the point that I think they don't even recognize the concept of an individual having rights.

9. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Yeah, but the BRI is them building another door.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I agree wholeheartedly. I just think you underestimate the lure of money to be made off conflict with them in reprisal for doing something drastic with regards to Hong Kong. I know the things they are already currently doing with regards to the Muslims in the west, but atrocities against Muslims in remote areas are a harder sell than anything large scale in Hong Kong.

11. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

What’s going on in Hong Kong would never happen out west because it would never get remotely that far without being swiftly ‘taken care of.’

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's made it 20 years without falling over?

Tenacious D likes this.
  13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I still think China has long term issues that will crumble within.

Citizens are building wealth and I don’t think the state will be able to censor information and knowledge forever.

Plus central planning has a ton of inefficiencies that will eventually catch up to them.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

You can put an anchor bolt in then to hold them together.

I just don’t like them as a tree.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Getting tired of posting most of these things in two separate threads, but this one, from the article above, is definitely worth it.

17. CardinalVol

See the follow up. Its falling over now, and apparently they cut it back before we bought it.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I always have trouble linking videos here, so I just took this screen shot from a video on ESPN:

View attachment 2378

She also mentioned:
    • Cranes taking down banners promoting the preseason games being played there.
    • Sparse crowds greeting the teams upon arrival (compared to massive crowds when she was there with LeBron 5 years ago.
    • Fans that DID show up covering their faces so that they wouldn't be filmed as having been at the event.
    • NBA has not canceled the preseason game scheduled between the Nets and the Lakers for fear of insulting the Chinese, but people are not confident the game will be played.
    • Nike has pulled all Houston Rockets gear from their website in China.

Wow. Just wow.

19. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

All for one tweet.

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

In a (tepid) defense of NBA guys, I'm not sure many would feel confident in answering questions about many international affairs in fear of looking foolish, whereas they do so for things they feel happen or are relevant in their communities. Plus, I'm sure many have an affinity for their large Chinese fan base and don't know how best to react.

I mean, it's not a great excuse, but how many really keep up on the going ons in Hong Kong, much less in Tibet and the Uighur province?