Coming Soon.......The movie thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

New Joker movie article.

Ah, the old 'you are going to inspire people to commit violence' crap. It has been shown time and time again that movies, music, TV, video games, books, etc have almost no bearing on peoples' actions.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-49816205

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

JD Salinger says otherwise.

4. NorrisAlan

You are wrong there, as JD Salinger almost never gave interviews! And is dead!

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

He called KPT. Before he died.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I swear, first batarian I see, I’m shooting him right in the middle of his 4 eyes

IP likes this.
  7. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Might have to go see it now.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Omg. Its so tiresome.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

By the way, at least minor spoilers if you've made it this far before clicking on this pompously written as it is titled piece. To be fair, it might have made a point, but I felt like I was about to read the entirety of a plot synopsis before making any kind of point.

VolDad likes this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

the movie is Taxi Driver set in Gotham. it is getting way more hype than it deserves. one could read the plot however they wish in terms of a "message."

I liked it but didn't love it. it did give me a new perspective on what the motivations of being a henchman for the joker or other villain may be, outside of monetary benefits- unintentionally.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

it is neither a comedy, action movie, or fantasy/sci fi so it is going to struggle to resonate with most people I think. it's a comic book movie that is sort of a drama/biopic.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

That's basically what I've been expecting all along. The amount of controversy over the movie shocks me in some ways, but in this politically charged environment we live now, I wind up telling myself that I shouldn't be surprised at all. Since I love a good conspiracy theory and will shamelessly admit to being a DC fanboy, I can also buy into some shenanigans being involved in some of the controversy.

I'll see the movie. The line was out the door and to the street at one of the on post theaters nearby at five till start time, so I decided to pass on seeing it Sunday. I don't like missing the beginning of any movie especially when I pay to go see it. It opens at the theater in town Wednesday night. I'm going to try seeing it over the weekend there if the English version is at a good time.

13. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Why? I mean why?

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies...oXJOW-dEAWShLl4Er6BEmbX0vsgs2UngdZE4gMfLCAF98

“The Warriors is a timeless cult classic. Directed by Walter Hill and released in 1979, the film follows a street gang – the titular Warriors – as they attempt to survive the journey from the Bronx to Coney Island after being framed for a murder. It’s a grimy, violent and low budget pic, but the various gangs, the cool soundtrack and energetic visual style have earned it a decent amount of kudos over the years”

14. NorrisAlan

Because Hollywood

15. TheOrangeEmpire

TheOrangeEmpire Active Member

@warhammer have you seen Joker yet?

I caught it with my fanboy crew last night for the third time. It was an Easter Egg hunt but we an discuss that later.

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Not yet. The show times are killing me here. English language versions start at 2250. I'm a little old for that crap.

17. TheOrangeEmpire

Don't have to tell me man, the struggle is real after 9 ish. ;)

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

May go Tuesday night. There's an earlier showing at a cinema about 45 km away. I'd hoped to not drive that far, but all of the local times are way too late. I can watch the movie and be home before the more local one starts.

19. TheOrangeEmpire

Did you see where Snyder posted on Vero that General Swanwick is Martian Manhunter?

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I saw that. I had some suspicions about the character the first or second time through. There was some meat to the bone we were thrown before WB got to sawing on it. I really, really hate that too. The thing that's killing me the most on the DC side of things is all of the reading I've been doing about the CW's Crisis crossover coming up in the near future. I am a sucker, like own multiple editions of the original, Crisis on Infinite Earths geek, and here they go doing it on television. I, of course am years behind or haven't watched any episodes of the current shows it will include. It's killing me. I know it cannot be as good as the book or do the things the book did, but I still want to see. According to everything I've read, they are trying to do it some justice at least partly in spirit. I'm going to be binge watching superhero TV in the next few weeks if I can ever get some internet at home. I do know I won't be using the DC Universe app. I bought into that last year, or rather my wife got it for me for my birthday, but the TV show selection is a bit meh.

TheOrangeEmpire likes this.