Can a samrt guy give me the readers digest version of the 6-1-1 SEC schedule?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Scorched Colon, May 30, 2012.

1. Scorched Colon

Scorched Colon New Member

and it's impact on Tennessee?

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

While we await someone smarter, here's the best I could find:

Link: SEC to announce 12-year conference schedule - CBSSports.com

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Simplified -

We play all 6 eastern teams annually.

We will play Bama annually.

The 8th game will be a different team from the west every year. We'll play Mississippi State away in 2012 and won't see them again until 2018, when we will play them at Neyland. In 2013, we'll play a team at home (Auburn should be up next if they stick to the previous schedule) and we'll then play them on the road in 2019.

4. Scorched Colon

Thanks....

5. Scorched Colon

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The short answer is that its affect is devastating to the tradition of the league and flat-out sucks. But hey, we get to play that bastion of southern football glory Mizzou every year now.

7. CardinalVol

This change really didn't affect us at all.

Arkansas and SC entering the league and killing the Auburn and Ole Miss rivalries, Auburn specifically, was much worse IMO.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

At least we played Auburn (not counting championship games) roughly six times a decade. Now we will play them twice a decade. That's insane.

9. CardinalVol

A lot of the rivalry died between 91 and the 97 SECCG IMO. I remember the 20-20 game in 87, watching the 89 game in my uncle's hospital room and the field being stormed (both with rain and fans), and then seeing my dad getting utterly pissed over a sporting event for the first time when we blew the 19-3 4th quarter lead in 1990.

I dunno, maybe it's because we've not beaten them in the new millennium, but the game itself just doesn't have as big of an appeal anymore. No difference really between the 12 team and 14 team scheduling format to me. That said, I do wish they'd go to 9 conference games.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The less I have to see of Auburn, the better. But I wouldn't mind stomping them, every time. So, we better damn well take advantage of that one game a decade.

11. CardinalVol

Seems like there are more against the 6-1-1 plan than previously thought, or at least I thought.

I really, really, really hope they don't scratch the rivalry game........

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Scratching Tennessee - Bama would be terrible.

I don't see the powers that be doing that

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

9 conference games would be the way to go. Teams can then schedule 1 decent OOC game and 2 cupcakes.

14. CardinalVol

Im not afraid to throw auburn georgia in with tennessee bama as far as hintorical rivalries go.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I wouldn't mind adding two more teams and going to 3 rivalry games per a team and then 5/6 rotating games. That would be preferable to 6-1-1

16. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

It's certainly significant to those fans, but as far as I can tell, Tennessee's the only team in danger of losing its biggest rival.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Just heard an interesting point....Basilio caller said we've seen UCLA in Neyland stadium down through the years more often than we'll see SECW opponents once this goes into effect.

18. Scorched Colon

if ain't broke....Slive is a greedy mope.....

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

That would make more sense prior to Arkansas and South Carolina coming in. Now, we should finish what we started and expand to 16 as soon as is possible. Then go into 4 4 team subdivisions. 3 rivalry games and then 5 or 6 conference games outside of those 4 team divisions. You could play everyone in less than 3 years.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

two issues. one is it makes it harder to go the NC game. next teams like vandy and kentucky would literally never make bowl games and the sec loves to talk about how they have X number of bowl teams. only reason why the pac-12 has 9 games is because most our teams don't sell out crappy non conference games.