Bowl Eligible

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Lexvol, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

With Mormons?!

[uck fay] Mormons.

InVolNerable likes this.
  2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

How did you hear about the novel I’m writing?

Tenacious D likes this.
  3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Penn State ahead of Alabama and Auburn in the new CFP rankings. Doesn’t seem to be any good reason for that to change, so if we want to make the Outback Bowl, I think we’re going to need Wisconsin to get housed badly enough to drop out of the top ten (and also the runner-up of whichever conference doesn’t put their champ in the CFP)

4. Tenacious D

Ken Pom? Jerry Palm? Jimothy Pam?

National dude on Basilio said Music City v Louisville, earlier today.

5. Tenacious D

If Penn St. is better than Bama and Barn, I’ll shit in every hat at West Point.

Memtownvol likes this.
  6. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Yeah, I don’t buy it either, but since none of them play again, I imagine it stays that way

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Going to need Utah to make playoff and Oklahoma and Ohio State to win huge at this point for outback.

8. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

We're gonna end up in the Gator.

9. Tenacious D

This is the content that I need.

I just want to know what has to happen in order to get us to a Florida bowl on New Year’s Day, even if for purely psychological reasons.

I just don’t see it as being any achievement to go to the Music City, Belk or Liberty Bowls, at all.

But on the other hand....maybe a second question is to wonder whether or not it’d be better for Tennessee, overall, to either:

A) Play in a Florida bowl, but losing (perhaps badly) to a better team in a more high profile game, or

B) Play in the Belk / Liberty / Music City bowl and beat (perhaps badly) a more equally matched team in a lower profile game.

Yes, of course, beating a higher ranked team in a Florida bowl on New Year’s Day would be absolutely ideal - but it’s also far less likely to occur, and the chances of a bad loss are much higher.

And yes, losing badly to a more equally matched team in a lesser bowl is probably the worst case scenario, but is less likely to occur.

But all things being equal what would you most prefer - to lose in a bigger bowl to a better team (Option A) or to beat a lesser team in a lesser known bowl (Option B)?

I think I’d pick Option A, and that’s why I want a higher profile bowl against a better team.

Besides, I want to get an accurate gauge as to where we really are at the end of the season, good or bad, and I think our playing a better opponent would provide a much more accurate assessment.

10. CardinalVol

I didn't think they'd knock Bama that far down. That messed us up. Feel confident we will get Gator at this point.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I want an overrated Big Ten team in a Florida bowl.

12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a situation where they would have to potentially put them in the playoffs.

Tenacious D likes this.
  13. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I think there's always that chance we shit the bed so I really, really don't want a Music City or Liberty Bowl matchup. Because a loss in either of those two would put a screeching halt to our momentum.

I want a Florida Bowl and if we get beat handily by Penn State or Michigan it's still much better than losing at all to someone like friggin Lousiville or Iowa State.

I'm not enthralled with the Belk Bowl but it might be the happy medium in all of this. It's in Charlotte and we would likely have the chance to hand Virginia Tech it's ass again which is always nice.

14. CardinalVol

It's Bama so there is always that chance.

15. Tenacious D

I agree, and specifically don’t want to play Va Tech because I don’t want to further legitimize the ol’ “tHey sHOulD Be In THe sEC!” - and which so many dumbasses in our own fan base love to spew.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

First of all, there is not an ACC team outside of Clemson that Tennessee would lose to. So go ahead and jot that down.

Second of all, we are going to be nastier than most in this bowl, because this roster hasn't seen many and our likely opponents aren't going to be nearly as up for the bowl and a nationally forgotten Tennessee program.

hohenfelsvol and A-Smith like this.
  17. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

No, Virginia Tech absolutely doesn't belong in the SEC. Hell, why not bring back Georgia Tech and Tulane if we need to eventually add schools.

justingroves likes this.
  18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I think our best chance is the Gator Bowl.

19. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Gator Bowl logistically my preference

20. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Some station showed the percentages after that game. Bama still has something like 1.8% chance of making the playoffs.