SEC TV Deal

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Dec 20, 2019.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yup. It was a major major part. It's part of the conference now. Gonna be weird.

2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I won't miss the 5 hour games.

NorrisAlan, cpninja and utvol0427 like this.
  3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm not saying CBS had nothing at all to do with the current status of the SEC, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on whichever conference to which they may obtain broadcast rights achieving the same level of success and respect.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’ve never liked CBS’ coverage of SEC games, from the production / announcers to the afternoon-only time slots.

But I thought this was a funny bit:
    “CBS decided to exit the negotiations for college football's most-watched TV package after making an aggressive bid in the neighborhood of $300 million per season -- a massive increase from the $55 million it currently pays annually. CBS Sports execs decided that it made more sense to invest the money they would have paid the SEC into other sports.”

Another way to read it:
    I’ve decided that my exclusive relationship with Beyoncé should end, and that I should see other people. Of course, this is purely a strategic decision on my part, and had nothing to do with Beyoncé wanting to charge me $300 to screw her, instead of the $55 I’ve been paying.

It ain’t Beyoncé that anyone should be worried about moving on from that deal.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  5. Tenacious D

Exactly. Let them sign the ACC / PAC12 and see how that goes for both.

6. Tenacious D

But I’m also concerned about the huge leverage this gives ESPN....and weren’t they the exact same network that just gutted the joint, laid off thousands of people, and as a direct result of their having way overspent on NFL / college football contracts?

7. CardinalVol

Now may be trying to buy out some if not all of the remaining contract with CBS.

Maybe they'll bring Nessler back to call the games.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The NBA contract is what bit them on the ass, if I'm not mistaken

Tenacious D likes this.
  9. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Well, I am a traditional guy. I will miss CBS. I also know I am going to get screwed into having to pay more.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

When it comes down to it, this is the end fact and destination. [uck fay]ers want to nickel and dime every last penny out of you. [uck fay] em if they make it so I have to buy their stupid ass streaming service.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  11. CardinalVol

I doubt they move any games to espn+.

Basically we will be taking over the 330 or primetime weekly.

Tenacious D likes this.
  12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Love Nessler. Hate Gary.

13. CardinalVol

Gary has gotten worse every year. I could tolerate him the first 4 or 5 years, but he's beyond insufferable now.

Nessler might be best play by play man out there.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

uh, buckle up

15. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I already dumped DTV for Hulu Live...to save money. Only 1 channel I don’t get...local ABC. So I roku the espn app for ABC sports...the only reason I care about ABC. Bet I have to go ESPN +. Sure there’s a combo but still more money.

16. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Their choice of Gary and Verne as commentators was ridiculous. The casual fan flipping through the stations could hear them and immediately think, "CBS doesn't take this shit seriously."

Tenacious D and Memtownvol like this.
  17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Verme was good like 30 years ago

18. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Gary has one of the most technically sound football minds of guys that do that on Saturday. No one seems to agree with me on this, and that is fine. But he really does understands formations, alignment, mismatches, etc.

And Verne is great because play by play guys need to be folksy and sometimes goofy -- and genuinely excited about football! -- and he had that in spades. His call of Jauan's Georgia catch is legendary.

JudgmentVol, Oldvol75 and TDVol1989 like this.
  19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Danielson does know his stuff, but he gets hung up on one or two players and it's really annoying.

Verne was fine, he just stayed about 3 years too long, the game was going to fast for him. They also didn't go well together.

Tenacious D, Memtownvol and warhammer like this.
  20. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

I think of Gary the same way I think of Bill Raftery. When they stick to actually analyzing the game, they’re terrific. It’s when they get sidetracked with all the stupid bullshit that they becoming an annoyance.

CardinalVol likes this.