SEC TV Deal

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Dec 20, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Big 10 should play earlier than sec in general, if only because of the weather in the regions. the sec should avoid early afternoon games until late October. the conference can take this angle of player and fan safety, which coincides with the better timeslots.

I'm not being cheeky, it's too hot to be having 100k people outside at 3:00 in September, if you don't have to. and that situation will only get worse.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The next time a network cares about the fan experience, will be the first time.

And, if you really want to see the SEC shove it’s weight around, forget making them play earlier, and wait’ll OSU and Penn State kickoff at 11:30pm EST.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Nothing to fight about other than I argue league soccer is up there with SEC football, if not more so, but I can be convinced otherwise.

Both have their insane fans, poisoning trees, stabbing each other, etc.

4. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

"We've got Tennessee vs Florida today. See that big "T" at midfield? I can't see that and not think of Tim Tebow, and how I had Low-T levels until I was introduced to him. Now they skyrocket whenever I think about him"

Memtownvol and IP like this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

okay. Dollar for dollar and in terms of total market penetration for their respective footprints, SEC fans are far more valuable. If Barcelona were at Bama levels of support, Catalonia would be an independent country with a seat on the UN security council.

Tennessee football sold natural gas to rednecks surrounded by woods and in the shadow of coal country, next to huge hydroelectric dams. Think about that.

Chik fil a is still mostly an Atlanta chain without the SEC megaphone.

Tenacious D and Memtownvol like this.
  6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

You ever seen Greenstreet Hooligans? What a great movie.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I see B1G eventually going fully Fox. It makes the most sense IMO.

Part of the deal was ABC told the SEC this will give them more flexibility as when to play games AND will end the 3:30 blackout window from CBS.

ABC/ESPN will have SEC and ACC, plus part rights to the Big 12. If I'm them, I'm content. Who the heck knows how the Pac 12 will play into this. They don't have the eyes. You could almost argue getting the American would be a bigger get in the near future.

Tenacious D likes this.
  8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I was reading your post and was going to make a joke about the American being a better get than the Pac-12. I'd honestly prefer to watch the AAC over the Pac-12 9 times out of 10.

9. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Yes, he does. Imagine how stupid it would have sounded if someone described a Clausen play as "Shuler-like".

10. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

The pac-10 isn't all that right now. And football participationg among youth in their footprint is declining faster than anywhere else - really not even close.

It may go to 8 man football in a generation.

11. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Soccer fans are waaaaaaaay more passionate than college football fans. American sports fans are in large part front runners in general, and while less so in college football its still prevalent. You'd never have a group of college fans build a stadium for their FCS team like Union Berlin supporters did for their squad. These clubs are literally sown into the fabric of their communities. The bigger ones much less so, but the St. Pauli's, the Real Oviedos, the Millwalls of soccer, they aren't there to make money for some dickhead owner. They exist because of the communities around them and take on the character of those communities, and that's so very rare in American sports. College football is great but club soccer below the level of the superclubs, is in a different stratosphere in regards to fan support. It LITERALLY is through thick and thin, win or lose, rain or shine, till death do we part.

12. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

As I said above that's true but it's not even in the same realm.

13. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

yes I know. I don’t have ESPN +. My deal is i don’t want to spend more period. As of now espn+ would be a complete waste for me. I hate mlb and rarely watch ufc.

14. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I think they will prorate the difference if you wanted to add.