Bowl Eligible

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Lexvol, Nov 23, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

she was probably trying to protect him from the madness.

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I wonder who's left after the Schiano fiasco.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

considering what Pruitt said regarding the folks who didn't want Jennings around no longer being there, I am guessing not many. because that's probably a tight venn diagram of monochromatic thinkers unwilling to consider bigger pictures.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  4. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Probably a Lyle fan

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You’re the guru on all things IU, for sure, but reading a few things in the last day or so:

1. Their OC, DeBoar, is coaching IU through the Gator Bowl, despite having just been hired as the head guy at Fresno State.

2. Penix Jr., the true freshmen QB and who was lost for the season in the Northwestern game on 11/2, will be replaced by junior QB Peyton Ramsey, and who looks to be a much better QB. In fact, Ramsey had already replaced Penix in several games this season, even before his season-ending injury, including in two of their biggest wins of the season, at Nebraska and at Maryland.
    Ramsey’s stats as the full-time starter:
    vs PSU: 31-41 for 371/1/0
    at Michigan: 17-29 for 217/0/1
    vs Purdue: 23-39 for 337/3/0 (also had 42 yards rushing and two (2) TD’s)

3. RB Stevie Scott hasn’t been ruled out (insofar as I’ve seen), but given that IU sports a run/pass ratio of 1:3 in big games, it looks like they much prefer to throw the ball than run it. And their backup RB averaged 5.4 yards a carry against Purdue in his single start in the final week of the season.

This won’t be an easy game for Tennessee, and there’s a reason why Vegas has IU as the favorite to win. Their mobile QB and RPO offense worries me almost as much as knowing that JG is starting and that we’re missing Jauan for the first half.

Link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.indystar.com/amp/2697461001

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

giving his all for Tennessee today.

justingroves likes this.
  7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Except UT is -1.5 or -2 on every book...

MaconVol and justingroves like this.
  8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

1. Yep. Note that I posted that on 12/17 when the announcement of his hiring was made. Most of my IU friends in the know expected him to leave before the bowl game.

2. Penix is the more dynamic player, hence the reason he was named the starter over Ramsey, to begin the year. He battled injuries that had him in and out of a few games this year, including the early part of the Maryland game, hence the reason Ramsey replaced him in that one specially. He was eventually shut down by surgery to repair his shoulder issue, as you mentioned. Ramsey is a fine QB in this offense, but make no mistake, Penix is the better player.

In fact, if you all recall, Penix was actually commented to UT at one point. I believe Pruitt decided to pass on him for Shrout, if I remember correctly. Who knows what he would have done here, but it would have been interesting this year with him in the mix.

Lastly on the subject of IU QBs, as you may have already guessed, Peyton Ramsey is named after another famous Peyton, which is another easy guess.

3. The Stevie Scott info was relayed to me around the time the bowl game was announced, so I suppose it’s possible with rest and rehab he will be ready to go next week. Time will tell.

All in all, it’s an intriguing matchup. While I’m not looking forward to the drive, I am excited for the game. Both of my parents are going, me with my mom and my dad with his spouse. I’m not sure how I’ll react when the game starts, as I’m quite torn, still, today, after having ample time to contemplate the matchup.

On one hand, the old man has stuck with IU football for 50+ years, while living in Knoxville for the last 40 or so of those years. He’s not going to get too many more shots to see something like this, which is an IU bowl game, let alone a bowl win, let alone it being over UT. On the other, I’m still born and raised a Volunteer, despite my Hoosier roots which run very deep.

At the end of the day, I think I’ll be happy as long as it’s a great game.

Tenacious D likes this.
  9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Would be interesting to see how the last couple of years would have looked with a few different QB decisions. We really, really crapped the bed there.

Of course, if not for extreme incompetence these guys are all competing as backups to Trevor Lawrence.

justingroves likes this.
  10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yeah the kid at Nebraska comes to mind as well. But you’re right that none of it matters if Lawrence is here.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Sam Howell is the biggest mistake to me, outside of Lawrence. I can understand why Pruitt told all QB recruits to leave when he took over, look at Guarantano.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

What really pisses me off is 2,800 yards and 20 tds for qbs are commonplace now except for Guarantano

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

All fair. I think IU is better than these cats are giving them credit for, and will likely win by 7-10 points.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I expect lots of points, as the IU defense is as bad as the offense is good. My prediction is that it will be one of those games where whoever has the ball last will win.

15. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I refuse to read too much into IU because I know we're going to beat the shit out of them.

**TDCVOL**, A-Smith and Volokie like this.
  16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Jauan Jennings will not walk off the field the last time in orange as a loser. I've never been more certain of anything in my life.

17. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

there is no universe where losing to Indiana makes sense. If this is part of your nega-vol outlook schtick, I respect that. But if Indiana beats us??? HUGE embarrassment. Jay was the ultimate curmudgeon but I declare myself a close second. We have dominated the Big 10...even with Butch.

If we don’t beat IU, everyone is going to have to try to convince me it happened for the rest of my damn life. Screw that!

47-21 Vols. Kiss my ass

18. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

It wouldn't surprise me if IU is held to no score the first half, I think our special teams and defense lately are that good. I'm calling it Vols 27 Hoosiers 13

19. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Shutting them out in the first half? I'd expect them to throw the kitchen sink at us early and often. We win in the second half.

20. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Butch's teams were LOADED. This squad isnt. Our OL is better but I think that is the only place where we are better talentwise.

We should still win though. Once the early smoke clears when they go for broke, I expect our defense to maintain a solid pass rush that proves to be the difference.