This Season Sucked

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Jan 2, 2020.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, a quarterback that doesn't miss guys in the end zone and doesn't throw it directly to the other team corrects a lot of coaching errors

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Even if we’d lost 22-9, I wouldn’t have been *that* mad about it, because the simple fact is that we don’t have a quarterback on the roster who can make good decisions, make them on time, and then execute the throws. You can try riding the hot hand, which actually got us quite a few wins this year, but there’s only so much you can do with the raw materials we have at the position. So you go get Harrison Bailey and see if he can make it better.

3. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

It also prevents coaches from constantly making calls where the game is in the balance. He was such a damn liability last night yet his teammates and an entire coaching staff managed to pull it out for him. Damn he was awful.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This was a hell of a season.

What I learned:

Guarantano will never be a good qb

Callaway is a really good receiver that suffered because of it

Jauan Jennings is one of my favorite players of all time

Pruitt has a lot of exotic blitz packages

The 2019 upperclassmen deserve a lot of respect from the fanbase

The 2019 recruiting class is pretty good, you had 6 true freshmen playing huge roles last night.

Pruitt really likes his players and will fight for them until the bitter end

Maurer probably ain't it, but he's not going to stand still and get killed

The defense improved every game

The offense was handicapped by a football illiterate quarterback

Chaney still gets pass happy

Harrison Bailey should be the starter here for the next 3 years minimum

Staff changes are coming

The next step is knocking off one of: UF, UGA or Alabama.

Tennessee is going to be an extremely young team next year, but there's a chance to be really good.

A 230 pound hammer to compliment Gray can't get here quick enough

Pruitt is a hard headed guy that doesn't flinch under pressure. That's a good thing. He's also shown an ability to learn from mistakes. The handling of the qb spot was unorthodox, but it worked. The more Maurer played, the more it looked like a walking turnover. Guarantano was probably the best bet to win, as bad as that sounds.

The staff dug themselves into a huge hole and dug themselves out of it. It was ugly and aggravating, but at the end of the day they went 5-3 in the SEC and finished with 8 wins. That's a building block towards respectability. The next step is hard and will define Pruitt.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

poor kid has very little instinct and feel.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No instinct and no feel. I've never seen a qb not have it at all until him

Beechervol likes this.
  7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

After UF this team was headed toward 2-10.

Finished 8-5 with an ugly bowl win.

Good QB play early and its 9-4 or 10-3.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Hes hard to watch.

9. Ssmiff

he checked into the play and protection on the first turnover. Opposing coach's toy with him by showing him a look, knowing what he will do in response. I will give it to IU. Evidently, they changed their entire defense since the season ended and kept dropping a player where they knew JG would stare and go

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

They also kept a guy over and under Jennings in the second half. He was always sandwiched between two guys, and not in the NYY fun kind of way, either.

11. Ssmiff

you HAVE to have a Qb who can see green in front of him, or move in the pocket and pick up yards in college football to have extended success. JG tripping last night with a gaping hole near a DL on the ground is a simple step up and to the right before the DE is coming from behind you and buy 2 seconds to find someone or just take the 10 yards in front of you. Have to have it in the future

Memtownvol likes this.
  12. Tar Volon

Ramsey gets 15 yards on that play. Guarantano loses 2. If we had ended up losing, that would’ve been the one that summed it all up

Memtownvol likes this.
  13. NorrisAlan

Was just coming to post what would the score be if we swapped QBs last night.

14. Ssmiff

31-3

Memtownvol likes this.
  15. NorrisAlan

Watching a replay of the game on YouTube right now, and that interception right before half was...oh, lord. It was just bad.

I hate to pile on a kid that isn't even getting "paid" to play football, but shoo buddy, it is painful to watch.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You think last night was "well-played"?

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

At everywhere but the quarterback spot, yes.

The pre snap defensive penalties need to stop, though.

18. Ssmiff

We were 200 yards to 40 and IU hadn't crossed midfield until JG first int with 5 left in the half. Missed wrs and 2 picks. Whole team sees that shit. Gets tough to play at times.

Memtownvol likes this.
  19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee's defense allowed 304 yards total and 16 points. Whop Philyor, their all world receiver, had one catch and one rush.

The offense sputtered but the root cause is Guarantano.

Memtownvol and A-Smith like this.
  20. Tar Volon

We ran on them, receivers made catches, defense held them to 16. It wasn’t a perfect game, but keep everybody else the same and insert a decent QB and we win by 20+

justingroves likes this.