"The Athletic" discussion

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Aug 5, 2018.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

justingroves likes this.
  2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

im already tired of him. Can’t imagine how I’d feel if he was my head coach

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Not sure I would’ve wanted Guantanamo calling 70% of the plays

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Great Spurrier article on the Athletic, it's not Ubben writing, though.

It may contain the greatest Spurrier quote ever:

“I tell people I had sort of the ‘Urban Meyer disease.’ You know how when Urban has a loss, it just hits him? Well, it hit me,” Spurrier said

Volgrad98 and InVolNerable like this.
  5. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Interesting nugget from Ubben's pod today. I think this was in a story that I missed recently, but Fulmer recently said that he believes there is philosophical alignment within the University now regarding the football program.

An example Ubben gave from his discussion with Fulmer - people now understand that if the football program is elevated, the engineering department is going to have more applicants and a bigger budget. And this is why we pump money into assistant hires and off field roles.

Probably one of the most encouraging things I've heard in a long time.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's great they've had that realization, but it's common [uck fay]ing sense. It's a shame it's been lacking up there.

I have been extremely pissed off at the administration since about 2007. It's nice seeing a change for the better, even if it took the worst decade in Tennessee's history to get it

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

As an aside, of all the embarrassing, shit-tacular hires made, Donnie Tyndall may be the worst, most fireable one made. The fact Dave Hart still had a job after Tyndall's show cause told you everything you needed to know about how things were ran up there

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Can't hire coaches like they're professors.

Coaching is one of the most result based businesses and we treated it like as long as we hired anyone that'd be good enough to keep the money coming in.

A-Smith likes this.
  9. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Heavy throwing his weight around, about time someone got in there to straighten this nonsense out.

Memtownvol likes this.
  10. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Fulmer said he knew where the bones are buried, sounds like a cleansing exhumation and autopsy of the administration intelligence has taken place.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And dear lord that's a lot of weight.

12. CardinalVol

13. CardinalVol

Most of the life long academicians are woefully missing common sense and it's mostly replaced by arrogance.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

the ones that lust after authority rather than continuing to work in their field, ya. Think about it: what makes a person go from researching and teaching some specific esoteric topic to being an administrator for the rest of their career? it's no different than a lifelong politician. Make these high administrator positions temporary , rotating positions instead of careers and you'll get better leadership decisions.

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  15. CardinalVol

Hey, I'm all 100% for that. 100%.

I think there is a degree of smugness that academia is better than "real world" to a degree among a high percentage anyway, but it can only be escalated by the ones who want to be administrators too.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If you want to be in administration at the k-12 level, be bad at teaching but really well connected.

SetVol13 and MaconVol like this.
  17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

When I got interviewed at places they all asked me what I wanted to do down the road. Did I want to move into administration, etc? I said heck no, I have an attention deficit (pro-tip, this is not an advisable thing to do admit to at interviews). I want to do my research and teach my classes (important to always say research first even if you don't think it's more important) and go home. They weren't impressed with that one, but they hired me anyway.

18. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yes. This.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

that one works all the way up

20. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

It's a very tight bubble.