2019-2020 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Indy, Mar 29, 2019.

1. dknash

dknash Chieftain

LMFAO they finally called his bullshit

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

That was not a foul on Vescovi. I guess it doesn't matter anymore. Just end the season.

3. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I do not understand why Vescovi is playing point guard.
    Mason Jones should have fouled out in the first half on offensive fouls alone.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

We don't have anybody else who can dribble except JJJ and he barely has a pulse right now

5. GahLee

Mason Jones wanted no part of Gaines, he was locked up by the freshman last game. Called for the high screen to get a switch every time because he knows Pons will give him the space to shoot and Pons falls for head fakes like no other.

Pretty frustrating not to see an adjustment there. Barnes just let Jones go off. While also watching his "point guard" have his dominant hand completely taken away. Again, no adjustment. Just run it back for 40 minutes.

6. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Gaines would have gotten stiff-armed into the mezzanine, repeatedly

7. GahLee

I'm going to be honest, I dont really know what the hell we are doing on our offensive sets. Half of it just appears to be motion for the sake of moving. Half the guys on the floor look like they'd rather be doing literally anything but taking a shot. If James isnt going to be aggressive, make him the "point guard" and let Vescovi get some open looks. At least he isnt scared to shoot.

8. GahLee

He didnt the last time they played. What they let Jones get away with tonight was egregious.

9. GahLee

Bowden can bring the ball up the floor. Got to let Vescovi get the looks that Bowden gets off screens and curls.

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

This team is just good enough to not be bad.

They show flashes but are not experienced or talented enough to sustain it.

Bowden needed to be good most nites which he hasnt and after Turner went down JJJ between the injury and inconsistency just hasnt been able to fill the gap.

The bright side, more options are on the way.

11. GahLee

I'm trying to imagine what this team looks like with a healthy Lamonte Turner playing point right now. Really a shame how his career ended here, Bowden too but to a lesser extent.

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The thing with Lamonte is he was the kind of cold blooded dude you need at the end of games to make plays. I don't see anyone on the current team who is of this mindset and the results are appreciable to this fact. From what I understand, Springer is cut from the same cloth.

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

About where and what this team looks like now, IMO. Maybe 2 more wins. He could no more carry a team than Bowden, but we’d be better with him than not.

JMHO.

14. GahLee

We'd be a tournament team, I think.

Turner could simply do things that Vescovi cannot.

Fewer turnovers, higher pace of play, beating guys off the dribble, consistently attacking the paint and play far superior on ball defense. A byproduct of Turner's presence also means we see Vescovi play a more natural position for him, which the 2 guard. His ability to shoot and make plays on the wing takes pressure off of Bowden, more cutting and mid range sets for him, instead of watching him jack up a 3 because nobody else can get an open look.

Our offense would potentially look dramatically different and our defense, which is already solid, would receive a substantial upgrade in on ball defense.

15. GahLee

I know next to nothing about the kids coming in next year, other than they are highly regarded. Do any of them have legit point guard ability or are we adding a few more players than will pass the ball around the perimeter before settling on a shot?

16. GahLee

True. Beyond his ability, is an energy that can feed a team, you cannot measure that value.

17. Ssmiff

We have nobody who can take their man and create their own shot. Running an offense around that is an obstacle, especially when our first and best option is undersized fulkerson who doesnt get doubled much for easy kickouts.

18. GahLee

Exactly. Turner could do that. I would have loved to see it.

19. GahLee

I haven't looked at any stats but I would be willing to bet we play in the bottom 25% in pace of play nationally.

20. Ssmiff

Look at the athletes with have with Bowden, Pons and JJ. Yet none of them handle the ball well, or really even average, and it would make quite a difference if they could. 6'3-6'6, can run and touch the square with ease but have an 8th grade level of ballhandling