COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Never saw that one

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

The UAE has a travel ban for Thailand now for its citizens, and I am supposed to go back through Dubai. Hopefully that isn't an issue.

Also, rumors are floating around here that the government has been covering up information about the virus activity levels here to protect tourism.

ERyxEQOWsAMH3OY.jpg

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I was too busy with other work to read through all the stuff today, but the one email that I read before all of the reports came in indicated that there was little change. I am to the point I have to call and check in every day including the weekends.

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Wait, you are still over there?

5. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Honestly, if IP doesn’t get it at this point, I’m going to feel a little gypped.

Tenacious D and CardinalVol like this.
  6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

What if IP went over there to he a carrier and has plans to attend a Trump speech.
    Possible.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Same. I've kind of already got tips in to the press that if/when he starts an epidemic in and around DC that will get me some quality face time and a possible book deal.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

and another conservative rumor is born

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

more reported cases in the US than here, maybe the Thais will think it is the other way around

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

There has been a run at N95 particulate respirators at my work now. They purchasing department is out of them and hand sanitizer, but it is their top priority getting them back in stock

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Exactly what I would expense a person infected with it to say.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We didn’t go crazy but we stocked up on rice, beans, flour, coffee and oil.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yeah, a few of our suppliers contacted us saying "We have X cases of masks in stock. Once those are gone, it will be difficult to say if/when we will have more available".

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I just ordered masks, N95 filters and hand sanitizer yesterday

Haven’t thought about food, but that’s not a bad idea, either.

I’m sincerely concerned about this.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

My facebook friends are all assuring me that I should be more concerned about the flu than Coronavirus.

16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Welp, Tenny just cured Coronavirus.

kptvol, SetVol13, kmf600 and 3 others like this.
  17. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Based on what we know so far I don't think this is going to be a high fatality event, but it will continue to spread and be extremely disruptive. Preparedness is smart.

18. Tenacious D

I think it’s going to be majorly disruptive, and really worry about what IP said, insofar as it could just become the new norm, where it never goes away but just continuously circulates.

I can’t imagine what it’ll look like to have millions of people either infected or unable / afraid to leave their homes for weeks at a time.

19. Tenacious D

But then, there’s also a piece of me that fears that this is the new version of Y2K, too.

20. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

There are more financial impacts to come as well. Business is already being disrupted and not just delays with China production. My role is with our people mobility organization and ~75% of my capacity is now consumed by COVID-19 activity (and increasing by the day). I'm actually changing my schedule to have more overlap with Europe. And it's going to get worse.