COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Of course this would be the period when my tooth with the vertical micro-fracture gives out. Dentists are on emergency treatment only and can't get me in until next Tuesday. I'm going to call and beg them tomorrow, then see if I can find anyone to see me sooner. Have a relatively high tolerance for pain, but this is ridiculous.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Got one of those ready to go at some point

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I was there last year. It sucks.

5. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Think it depends on the place. My wife is being quoted 3-4 days from the 3rd party testing companies. I read that the Cleveland Clinic has possibly developed a system that can tell in 4-6 hours.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah I read that. Lots in there. One thing that struck me is his idea that flattening the curve might actually have a downside (more people dying of other stuff). If that is true, then all these measures may not be worth it...It really would be nice to know the actual death rate from this. Lot of graphs floating around, several that I’ve shared, are based on unreliable data. He seems to be saying though that even if it is a worst case scenario, that we may be making the wrong move.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You were wanting to shut everything down for a month a week ago, now you're saying this?

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Fair I guess. And not a week ago. More like up until yesterday and still right now to a large extent.

Shutting everything down short term (a month or even two) seems smart regardless. It gives us some time to really ramp up production of tests and get healthcare as ready and braced as is feasible. There is a storm coming. Just not sure how big it will be (category 3 or 5) and whether we should try to lengthen it artificially (flatten the curve). Most doctors seem to think that being aggressive and treating this as a war with extreme social distance is the right thing. But that Stanford doc that wrote that article disagrees.

So I guess it’s the longer term stuff that that article is making me rethink. Not sure if we should shut everything down til there is a vaccine now...I’ve always been a person that looks at all sides of something. I have to write a lot of research for my job and I’ve trashed several projects once I’ve gotten started and seen another angle or some different data. I’d be a very bad executive.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    justingroves likes this.
  9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

hohenfelsvol and InVolNerable like this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think we know how long we cand ahit everything down. that some places are already doing it and some aren't makes it especially tough.

11. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I also got something right around New Years, I haven't been that sick in years. I thought for sure I had the flu, but it came back as an ear infection. If(not saying that it is the case, but on the off chance) that was either CV or some sort of strand, then its a damn good thing I didn't visit my parents that weekend as they're both high risk. But I doubt it was. Because I would have been one hell of a super spreader at work.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

How many Blount county people leave Blount county?

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's a shit situation. I do think it's extremely hard to use China's or Italy's numbers for other countries, there's way too many variables.

I wouldn't let the dumbass spring breakers go home, they would all be quarantined and tested.

OneForVol likes this.
  14. CardinalVol

During Spring Break? A lot.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, they're screwed. The county I'm from thinks going to Nashville is a 3 day trek (it's 20 minutes away). I fully expect no one to get it simply because of that.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I hope you're right, but this bug has a way of getting from place to place.

17. CardinalVol

I'm kind of surprised Knox County only has 2 confirmed cases, even with testing inqadequacies.

Throw in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg plus Spring Break and you are looking at sheer disaster. Sounds like Ohioians are still visiting here like usual.

justingroves likes this.
  18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Ohioans are so terrible

warhammer likes this.
  19. CardinalVol

Some friends who have stayed at home decided they would go on a hike yesterday in the Park, thinking noone would be there.

Wrong.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm more being a smartass about how closed minded my hometown can be