The NBA Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GahLee, Oct 27, 2012.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

He has admitted that it wasn’t a finger. Other than that, we can only guess.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This is such a weird, narrow line of thinking. Your stance is that LeBron "doesn't have a skillset" because his repertoire doesn't identically match that of Kobe and MJ? Seriously? He's a completely different player than they were. But still, I don't subscribe to the idea that LeBron lacks everything you say he lacks. No pump fake? Can't go hard with his left? You serious, Clark? But I don't know how I'm even supposed to argue with you without posting a bunch of videos that I know you aren't going to watch. So what's the point?

And beyond that, LeBron is a more efficient scorer than both MJ and Kobe were. And when your numbers suggest you are already one of the most efficient players in the post, playing in a league that is moving out of the post and more towards the 3 point line, why would you devote your efforts towards developing a more intricate post game? It just doesn't make a ton of sense.

And what about, well, everything else that goes into an offensive skill set for a basketball player? Kobe and MJ were nowhere near the playmakers LeBron is. Like, not even close.

Also,:

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/lebrons-improved-post-game/
    https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/6/20/3099027/lebron-james-heat-vs-thunder-nba-finals-2012
    https://www.sportingnews.com/au/nba...rs-playoff-success/18x8owehpilm81528xbvnk5sc3
    https://cavsnation.com/cavs-news-le...ffs-wouldve-been-career-best-for-kobe-bryant/
    https://lebronwire.usatoday.com/201...-the-purest-way-michael-jordan-magic-johnson/

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yet another standard that has never been a thing, until we needed to find ways to separate MJ from LeBron. And yet, LeBron is the only person we hold to this standard.

Magic - 13 seasons, played 82 games 0 times
    Tim Duncan - 19 seasons, played 82 games 3 times
    Kareem - 20 seasons, played 82 games 5 times
    Kobe - 20 seasons, played 82 games 4 times
    Shaq - 21 seasons, played 82 games 0 times

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

lol

CardinalVol, IP and justingroves like this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Quit ruining LeBron's legacy, Ssmiff.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

When was anyone comparing any of those other guys to MJ as far as being the GOAT? Other than some (minority) say Kobe, not sure I've ever heard anyone say that about any of the others.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So just to make sure I'm understanding, number of full, 82-game seasons played matters, but only in conversations about who is the GOAT - not conversations about all time greats/top 10, etc.?

Also you literally compared Kareem to MJ earlier in this thread:

I guess Kareem would be better than MJ if he had just played a full 82 game season more than 25% of the time. Why didn't you point out Kareem's lack of full, 82 game seasons played when you made that comment? Is it because it's a meaningless statistic that doesn't have a place in the "GOAT" discussion?

It blows my mind how many stupid statistics people are willing to come up with and assign meaning to in order to protect MJ's legacy. MJ is the GOAT for a lot of reasons. Playing 82 games 9 times and "always hustling" shouldn't and don't need to be included in order to make that case.

8. CardinalVol

I said he was closer. I didn't say he was better. You want to get in a debate on those 2? Yeah, MJ wins again. Kareem took plays off. Less than LeBron, but he did.

9. CardinalVol

I don't ever care about the 82 games crap. I think "load management" is absurd for all kind of reasons, but all I care about is the games you do play.

justingroves likes this.
  10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You asked "when was anyone comparing any of those other guys to MJ as far as being the GOAT?" Not "When did anyone say any of those guys was better than MJ?" You were pretty clearly comparing Kareem to MJ.

And I haven't said LeBron is better than MJ either.

It's funny that you question my reading comprehension and my ability to read context but then can't even say what you want to say properly in your own posts.

11. CardinalVol

I said he was closer than people realize. I guess that's comparing. Mainly was saying people don't realize how good he was and that I think he's better than LBJ. AS a matter of fact, I said that I thought he was better than LBJ in that post, and that would be the comparison. I was using Jordan as the standard bearer.

Starting to understand why you couldn't get a job in analytics.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You guess? It's okay to be wrong. You compared him to MJ. And good to know you don't actually think the 82 games thing matters (now that you realize applying it to LeBron in a negative fashion also says something negative about literally every other top 10 basketball player not named Michael Jordan).

Why couldn't I get a job in analytics, Card? Since you're starting to understand.

13. CardinalVol

Because you are a complete and total dumbass. That's why.

14. CardinalVol

And with that, my posting in this thread re Jordan vs LeBron and Howard vs. Ewing (LOL) is done.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I passed both the deductive/inductive reasoning test, as well as the writing test. I did not pass the interview phase, but I think it would make more sense to attribute that to a lack of interviewing skills, rather than being a total dumbass. It was my first interview for a career sort of job, after all, and it was a bit intimidating, as far as interview settings go.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Comments? @Tenacious D @Unimane

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Updated GOAT rankings:
    1. Zion Williamson
    2. LeBron James
    3. Michael Jordan

No questions.

IP likes this.
  18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Everybody knows Kurt Rambis is the real GOAT

[​IMG]

19. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think, unsurprisingly, you made a very generous rendering for the number of HoF players in the modern era as well as the way you have constructed this argument to be very generous for the current age, all the while trying to portray the opposing ideas as operating in a similar manner. If Andre Igoudala, Shawn Marion and, especially, the overrated scrub Draymond Green are Hall of Famers, then they really need to shut Springfield down or, at least, open it up to more guys of a similar or better caliber from the 90s. This would include guys such as Detlef Schrempf, Terry Porter, Kevin Johnson, Tom Chambers and Danny Ainge.

I also wonder why it's just limited to the Finals, since getting to a championship includes going through the playoffs within your conference. Jordan beating the 3 HoF players for Detroit not count in 1991? No Reggie Miller, Patrick Ewing, etc to count, either?

Wouldn't it also be worthwhile to consider how many Hall of Fame players they played with? Jordan won as many titles as James, 3, while only playing with 1 Hall of Fame player in Pippen. James had 3 other HoF players on his 2013 Miami team alone. By my count, James has played with 5 different Hall of Fame players and Jordan only 2.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Let's be honest, you opened up the interview with "Sab did not put a finger in my butt"