2021 Recruiting Thread

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by govols182, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Just want to mention that as of today, bama is 46th with 4 4* and 1 3*. I know it's early but is bama looking at an under top 10 recruiting class?

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah I agree with 2 (and the others). I like Cutcliffe as an organizer/disciplinarian and player developer. Never cared for his play calling. I’m not sure he calls the two bombs to Peerless in the Fiesta Bowl. Maybe we wouldn’t have needed them had he been there. The WR screen to Nash in 97 was repetitive and weak sauce. Shoulda done more play action off of Jamal. Peyton’s bread and butter at Indy.

3. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I like him too but in my opinion the plan for '97 made things way to predictable for a team that probably wins 10 games that year were Manning to have bolted for the NFL following 1996.

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I doubt the '97 plan we saw would have been the same sans Manning, but I get where you are coming from.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It pisses me off they went the get Peyton the Heisman route instead of the give 4 nfl running backs the ball and win a national championship route

warhammer and Memtownvol like this.
  6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

At the time, I was all about Manning. 20 years of learning has taught me the lesson Shula never learned with Marino.

justingroves and Memtownvol like this.
  7. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I'm glad to see my theory has some traction here.

If anyone wants to see a prime example of what I am laying out, go watch the UCLA game from that year. In that game you get a fine display of how a defense approaches a Manning led offense under the center/shotgun. Even with the bizarre lack in deployment of the team's generational talent at RB, the offense is so much more potent with Manning under center. The 2nd half of the game is hard to watch as we cannot muster a first down on the numerous drives where we are strictly shotgun.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've cussed, ranted and raved for years about it. It's always made me happy that Tennessee won a national championship immediately after they stopped going for stats and just ground and pounded it

Memtownvol likes this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And it proves the point that no matter who the qb is, winning the line of scrimmage is still the most important thing in football

10. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Yes yes YES. And you must practice everyday with that in mind. A team that is primarily spread will always be coupled with a defense who gets bullied at the LOS against opponents that play under center. The primary reason for this happens to be that their physical engagement in practice is very minimal compared to the high level of daily physicality that is a cornerstone of a team who gets under center.

justingroves and Memtownvol like this.
  11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The snap doesn’t have anything to do with being physical.

If you want to argue that certain plays hit faster and more effective under center, I agree. But that’s more to timing than physicality

I also think play action is better under center.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

And we may start 4 5*s on OL in next 2 years.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Tired of these stupid 3*s.

BigOrangeBeech likes this.
  14. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Pruitt continues to kick Auburn’s ass on the recruiting trail this cycle.

BigOrangeBeech and hohenfelsvol like this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Turns out, prospects like it when you get to know them as people and talk to them about how to get the most out of the college athlete experience where ever they go. Kind of the opposite of the Butch Jones, tell them anything to get them here and then physically and emotionally abuse them philosophy.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I’d say 1997 was the most talented team in Tennessee history. Lost Manning, Nash, Little, and Fair from that team...

17. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

6A79BA6F-F1C9-4183-A413-5E8F335F19D8.gif

18. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

Alabama TE, Trinity Bell commits.

justingroves likes this.
  19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Will be interesting to see if the sites have mis-evaluated him, or whether he is truly a project based on his size.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

So that's three tight ends committed. Either we aren't getting Wolf or somebody (Roc Taylor) is getting asked to leave.