COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

People in Georgia that are interviewed mention their age and "demographics" as the reason why they aren't concerned. They either don't understand the statistics or don't really know what they are. It's a risk to anyone.

2. vols4sure

vols4sure Member

Curious, what stats are you seeing that you believe should scare someone with household all under 40 with no underlying conditions?

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Michigan and Georgia are each interesting to watch. Based on when they really became mobile, you would expect upticks this week. Georgia stopped falling and stabilized in deaths/day. Michigan kept falling a bit. Both took upticks over the last several days, though. Will be worth watching. The noise in the data is sufficient that these upticks could be nothing...will require some time.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is a matter of math. If .1% of people under 40 die, and millions of people under 40 are infected, then thousands of unworried "won't hurt me" under 40's have died.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, do those under 40's have anyone they cross paths with over 40, that they wish to not harm? Communicable disease is not just about individuals.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

When does dragging it out do more harm than at least doing our best to move on

7. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I think we're finding out in Shelby Co that it takes a smaller amount of effort to drag it out than previously thought. The hit might come after Phase 2 has been going for a while, but numbers have looked great after Phase 1.

8. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

Why drive a car then? This failed logic has cost plenty of lives in the process. Listen I was all for the lockdown at first but facts no show that if you're under the age of 50 it has almost no effect on you. However, this failed "social experiment" of locking people down has cost unknown lives to depression, suicide, starvation and now the government has created a new class of welfare recipients.

The numbers these can't be quantified though so it doesn't get nearly the press that the virus does. I'm 47 get plenty of sleep, eat healthy and in better shape than when I was in High School. I'm not overly concerned with getting sick. That being said I'm also smart and not meandering into large crowds or going where there are sick people. If people want to stay home and shelter let them but it's time we move on. I'm not trying to start an argument but the lockdown argument is losing steam by the day.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

The failed logic is immediately comparing a contagious disease that can spread exponentially to a single event. If you get in a car crash, it doesn't mean all of the first responders can bring a car crash home to their families, or someone you bumped into at the grocery store caught a car crash.

10. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

Not true at all, every time you get behind the wheel you could be endangering somebody else. What if you feel asleep at the wheel, what if you blinked at the wrong time. Let's say you get into an accident, then Police and the first responders have to go out of their way to attend to you. What about the people backed up in traffic because of the accident? There life was altered There are inherent risks in everything we do and potentially expose other people all the time. I'm convinced we are doing more harm to everyday Americans the longer this drags out. If people want to stay home and hide under the [uck fay]ing covers let em. Let the other people go about their lives.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is an illogical comparison.

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Shelby County had the highest single day spike since early April yesterday, or the day before.

13. fl0at_

It's about 4% for the upper end, which is about 800,000 people in the 40-50 bracket, give or take a few.

I did that math wrong. It's 4% of about 10%, so 80,000.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  14. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

Yes. But look at the amount of tests that are being done as opposed to early April.

15. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

State of Tennessee has 13,000 cases reported from people under the age of 50. 20 have died. So where is your math coming from?

Again, not trying to start an argument but most people aren't interpreting the data correctly. The media in general has done a fantastic job at scaring the shit out of people. And most of them are [uck fay]ing sheep.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

How many American deaths would change your mind?

17. fl0at_

I'm looking at US population as of current. Tennessee hasn't peaked.

Deaths for the age range of about 45-50 are about 4% of deaths. There are about 20 million people in the US aged 45-50.

So 0.004 of 20 million, or .4%, which seems to be about the speculated lethality. Could reduce it by another 60%, if 40% does establish a herd immunity. But we'll see.

And then bracket it down for each next age group.

18. fl0at_

Vs the amount of tests done last week? Why wasn't last week higher than early April?

19. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Average over the past 7 days has been 70ish per day. 7 days before that, 65. 7 days before that, 80. All while testing capacities have increased, and honestly been underutilized.

Single day spikes are worth paying attention to, but can have more to do with processing than actual spread.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal