COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Like what? chinese plot to rule the world and send out carriers to major US hubs? Seems like a good Homeland season.
    Without creating from thin air, what crazy theories are you referring to?

2. Ssmiff

TT why such low number of deaths over last 3 days? Slow reporting on weekend? Fewer people sick as meds help.. Fewer people dying and being labeled as CV? Virus running its course...or mix of all and more?

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Having dealt with trying to educate folks about airborne exposure hazards for years, many people just don't get it.

4. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Not TT, but I'd say slow reporting is a big part of it. But you're still seeing a week over week decrease.

justingroves and TennTradition like this.
  5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Oh, I think the one about tens of millions of Americans with COVID-19 in January or the one about there being something fishy going on because we hadn't cured this thing in April even though soap kills it would qualify.

TennTradition likes this.
  6. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

That sucks, man.

7. Ssmiff

You are correct.
    You are no TT

8. Ssmiff

I asked you to try not to make something up but you didnt listen.
    -never said 10s of millions of Americans had it in january but fully believed 10-20x more people had it than reported from the outset.
    -i had read what was a misleading article about this virus patent being sold to a european company in 2015 and also assumed, wrong or right, the virus creators had a cure. Like in Mission Impossible chymera and the one tube. Believeable af.
    -some discussions such as eating soap are taken too seriously. Though soap is more deadly to the cv virus than any other virus prior as far as i remember.

9. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Total numbers continue to fall, so that is a part of it. But we always see big dips on the weekends (some on Saturday, much bigger Sunday/Monday) - and that extends this week through Monday, so even today will be fairly low despite Tuesdays normally being a big day. That means we should see a pretty big spike on Wednesday and the rest of the week will likely remain up there. The numbers are slowly coming down but the Sun/Mon/Tues this week is weekend/holiday effect.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

What are the other rational origin explanations? Accidental lab slip up is about the only one I can think of.

IP likes this.
  11. fl0at_

Next week, the lag should extend an additional day due to Memorial Day.

12. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

TT - I interpreted the second link as being "actual paid" to the hospitals and providers but can't tell if those amounts had anything to do with the first link rates.
    The first link does describe the funding as the "first 30 billion" and the second link says the distributions were from 22 billion of the aid pkg.

Earlier this morning, it took the published state allotments and multiplied by total case for each state.
    That number was about 5 times larger than the "first 30 billion", so there has be a different formula that was used for the distributions.

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

However unlikely the improvement afforded through engagement and discussion, it is a certainty that none is possible in its absence.

We were all - are all - Joe Sixpack in something, sometime, somewhere. I’ve learned more by being proven a fool, than not.

It’s happened here, on this board, with many of you - dozens of times, on dozens of subjects, and I am certain that it will again.

And I am better for it.

Everyone deserves that chance.

This whole faux-gnostic-like reverence that science can somehow only be safely trusted to be discussed amongst the learned few is complete, utter and thorough horse shit.

14. Tenacious D

I wasn’t making any elaborate point beyond echoing that I, too, had heard 14-17 days on plastic and metal.

IP likes this.
  15. Tenacious D

You don’t stop talking, trying and engaging - that’s how we got to be where we now find ourselves.

16. fl0at_

That is not what he said. You aren't reading,

He said SCIENCE isn't just a study. SCIENCE is reproducible studies.

And that isn't what is being done. So Joe Sixpack isn't discussing science, they are discussing pre-Science.

And that is not needed, because pre-science is ugly, messy, and often poorly conceived.

reverendgeneral likes this.
  17. Tenacious D

upload_2020-5-26_14-33-36.jpeg

TBSVOL likes this.
  18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This afternoon I could write a piece and say that as an accountant I have looked at the numbers, analyzed, them, and come to X conclusion and that so and so is wrong. The fact that I don't know the first thing about the basic building blocks of any of this this mean zero. If the right person were to pick it up and promote it on Twitter, I would be on CNN or FoxNews within 48 hours talking about my conclusions while others that are way more equipped than I to make judgement on this could scream as loud as they wanted that I was wrong, be correct, and people are not going to listen.

The stereotypical Joe Sixpack DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE TRUTH, he only cares about what reaffirms his beliefs.

SetVol13, A-Smith and Unimane like this.
  19. Tenacious D

Sounds plausible - give me a second to go post all of this to Facebook.

20. Tenacious D

The veracity of an unpresented truth is worthless.