Bee keeping

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Volst53, May 27, 2020.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Wife wanted to get some hives so we now we're getting two hives full of bees delivered today.

Anyone else on here bee keep? I'm going in blind on this project.

VolDad, NorrisAlan and gcbvol like this.
  2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

No experience, but love it. Excited to hear how it goes.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Plan to get stung quick and often

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We put up mason bee houses this year, but that is about it. Good luck! We need more bees.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

neighbors have hives. The honey seems to cure all throat issues. I spend my time with Raid vs red wasps hornets and tennis racket vs carpenter bees, my sworn enemy. The adrenaline after sending one to the moon is enjoyable.

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I've started a murder hornet fight club. PM if interested.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I have a worldometer death count as I open up the back area each year. I used to wear goggles and have 5 or 6 cans of raid ready as I kick over nests with brutal ground and aeroassaults. This year just beginning but we are between 75-100 wasps/hornets and closing in on 20 carpenter bees, though waiting on tests because 13 of the carpenter bees I swatted may have covid so I wouldn't get credit for those or the hornets nest that was by the garbage.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I have several friends that do it, and it's a lot harder than you would expect. If you don't have the first clue as to what you are doing then I give these hives 3 months, tops.

justingroves and cpninja like this.
  9. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Shit, Card dropping the hammer.

justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.
  10. cpninja

cpninja Member

Dad's been doing it for 5 or 6 years and there is never a time where stuff "just works". Always something to fix, something messing with the hives, or they need to be split, or they're swarming or whatever. A bit of a money pit but it keeps him busy

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The man wanted feedback, the man got feedback.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Nope. Uh uh. No way, no how, if we could survive without them, I'd gladly vote to kill them all along with all ther buzzy stinging compatriots.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

not what i would expect at all. interesting.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I have a local bee guy that's helping me.

Just got done working them and putting them into position. A little bit different being in a box with 30,000 bees going crazy.

They might die and I'll be out a couple hundred dollars but something to do.

VolDad likes this.
  15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Spoken like a true American. "I accidentally murdered thousands of bees, but it gave me something to do."

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Nothing risked nothing gained.

A-Smith likes this.
  17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Bees are mostly nice. Wasps are assholes. I have a chart.

[​IMG]

SetVol13, CardinalVol, NYY and 6 others like this.
  18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

"And got to drink beer doing it! Hah. Alright. What's on Tv?"

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I've been stung by just about everything native to Kentucky and Tennessee. Red wasps are the most painful, IMO.

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  20. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Wife's brother has kept bees for 20+ years. Alot to it. He says best resource for newbies is contact your state beekeeping organization, i.e. TBA, if in Tennessee. They have classes and old farts that are more than willing to advise/mentor those starting out. UT Ag extension offices (depending on county) can also be helpful.