The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It's really, really odd. While 20% of the economy has been insanely affected, the other 80% is relatively to very solid.

And this whole China thing has made me do a 180 on manufacturing. Bring it all back here. Every bit of it that we can possibly bring. And what we can't handle, figure out a way with Mexico that it is beneficial for all.

warhammer and Tenacious D like this.
  2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The crazy thing is seeing the ripple effect in my community due to manufacturing expanding here.

School enrollment is increasing, a ton of small businesses being created, and home building has spiked and local builders can’t keep up with demand.

I’m not saying all manufacturing needs to come back but we need to over look how we’ve been doing things

justingroves likes this.
  3. CardinalVol

Bring back manufacturing and put it in the communities where it was 20 years ago and watch lots and lots of things begin to change.

Tenacious D and justingroves like this.
  4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I fully expected to slow way down and I've actually gotten busier. Everyone under the sun I know got a heloc and is investing in something

5. CardinalVol

One of my biggest clients is a supplier to home builders. They are finally starting to show some signs of slowing down, but nothing near the panic level yet.

justingroves likes this.
  6. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

Evinrude is going to stop making outboard motors, putting blame on corona virus. I think that more of the blame could be that they got passed up big time by the 4 strokes. It is a shame because I grew up with Evinrude and Johnson.

justingroves likes this.
  7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My dad had an Evinrude 145 on the back of his ski boat back in the 70s.

Does sound like they just were barely holding a line and this is a good excuse to shut it down.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I wouldn't own stocks at these levels

9. CardinalVol

10. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Great jobs report today!

11. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Saw someone speculate that a lot of the folks that were incentivized to file for unemployment by the increased benefits might be coming back into the market now. No idea if that makes sense, but would be cool if that actually worked.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Not extending the extra unemployment benefits will get them back in the market faster

13. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

If the consumer demand is back, doesn't make sense to extend.

14. CardinalVol

I do wish Sasse would just come out and say "I tried to tell you."

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Wouldn't do any good. Logic doesn't matter to feelings.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Unemployment benefits is the worst thing to increase labor participation.

I'd much rather see public works programs instead of paying people to sit at home.

17. CardinalVol

Well it would make me and MY feelings feel better.

18. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I just assumed that this was a rare circumstance where temporary incentivized unemployment was okay. Just because we had a pretty good idea that the demand wasn't going to be there for a lot of industries. Extending it while most of the country is opening up did seem like a bad idea.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think there was a pandemic, though.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It was still mishandled and not well thought out, IMO.

Government should have backed payrolls during the shutdown. If you're going to force them to close by government force, government should have funded payroll to keep employees and employers whole.