POLITICS Trump EO on Big Tech

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, May 28, 2020.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

If the long held rule that corporations are "people", I am pretty sure they will all rally against this EO and claim (rightfully, imho) that their rights are being trampled on by the government.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm trying to think of an EO passed specifically designed, and in response, to a president lying and him wanting to be continued to do so without push back. Nothing is coming to mind, yet.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Just not a big fan of govt regulation of platforms this large. Yes Twitter leans left, and yes it at least has the optics that it holds the right than higher standards than the left, but I don't like it.

Volgrad98, VolDad and justingroves like this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Facebook probably is fine with this. They don't want to moderate anything.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Can we all just agree that the world would be a better place without Twitter and get rid of it altogether?

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’m confused.

You think that the courts upholding the government’s ability to force a private business to bake a cake against a single baker’s personal beliefs somehow means this EO is “DOA” to prevent an infringement of free speech for millions?

I look forward to the inevitable court case.

7. CardinalVol

It's actually quite useful for me. #taxtwitter is a pretty tight-knit community and we bounce a lot of problems and issues off each other on there.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I was sure that the Supreme Court overturned that ruling 7-2 in favor of the bakery, or am I misremembering this?

9. Tenacious D

You believe that they should be free to trample the rights of others? The courts have been clear as to the necessity of these platforms in public discourse. Crystal clear.

What has thus far shielded them will almost certainly now cause their exposure. They can make a bigot bake any cake they want, but they can’t then both have that cake and eat it, too.

10. Tenacious D

“neutral consideration” is an important phrase.

11. Tenacious D

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The cake thing doesn't work. It was about discrimination. On the other hand, I can easily be fired, banned, asked to leave, etc. for things I say or do in most any situation.

13. Tenacious D

Let’s see if they fact-check this one.

14. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Ok, unban Action Jackson so he doesn't sue, and someone please delete the VN idiots and Sabanocchio threads. Droski, you might just want to leave the Internet for good. Not worth the fight. Although I guess you can just turn around and sue Tenny for creating a platform that gave you the ability to be sued by Sabannochio.

15. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Good lord, why is it that idiots still can't figure out that only government can violate rights?

Private people doing things to other people, or government, do not violate rights, they simply break the law.

16. Tenacious D

GOP letter to Reddit.

Wow, it’s so odd that these efforts against Big Tech, from multiple factions toward multiple angles, have each just simultaneously erupted out of the blue. It’s serendipitous, to say the least.

Indeed.
    Red(dit) China
    Benito Trump & Poison Supporters
    Link:

Link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...-censorship-of-the-donald-pro-trump-forum.amp

17. Tenacious D

That’s that.

I hope the dopey Liberals demand nationwide Voter ID, just to spite him.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I can't figure out why this sports forum's official twitter account keeps liking only one political perspective. Is that in violation of this new Executive Order, to run a neutral platform? Seems biased.

19. Tenacious D

Who doesn’t like the Green Party?

20. CardinalVol

"The draft order also requires the Attorney General to establish a working group including state attorneys general that will...monitor or create watch-lists of users based on their interactions with content or other users."

Nothing to see here, nothing to see at all.

NorrisAlan likes this.