COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just went and got a sandwich and a dude was demanding to be able to order even though he wouldn't wear a mask. It was awkward, the sandwich shop owner is very mild mannered and polite. And silly, as the guy had a [uck fay]ing mask, he just was doing some sort of power thing over a damn sandwich.

droski likes this.
  2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i meant down near his neck. Mouth was completely uncovered

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

We aren’t given that option in la. I haven’t see. Someone indoors without a mask in a month.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Couldn't breathe with all that virus building up in front of it.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think he had it down because he was so sick and congested. He looked awful. Thankfully he was like 20 feet away

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Welp. See ya.

2Maggitt2Quit, NorrisAlan and droski like this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

We are not given an option either, but there are people who don't believe it is real or don't care. This was an older gentleman carrying a briefcase and about 4 other reusable grocery bags. I think he had issues.

droski likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Maybe it was just the tear gas from last night. Or smoke. You should go ask.

droski likes this.
  9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Viral loads are greater the farther down the respiratory tract you go. Best defense might be a long sleeve turtleneck.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Did you tell Joe you'd be voting for him?

justingroves and A-Smith like this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

He had long Einstein-like hair and a long grey goatee. he looked like a guy on the back of a sasquatch book jacket in the "free" bin at a yard sale. I'm guessing he's not just voting third party, but also seeking your vote and support. Like maybe a sandwich.

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

14. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Science just isn't meant to be conducted like this, with individual studies driving policy and funding in real time.

SetVol13, justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.
  16. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

This seems to be the most important thing to be controlling for to me, and yet time and again these studies are not. Controlling for this is needed for like the fundamental question to be answered. Jeezum.

18. TennTradition

Agree. This was my criticism when the study was released on HCQ outcomes. Saying it led to increased death outcomes from a data mining exercise where there was no scientific control it kind of worthless.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Well the Lancet is supposed to be pretty well-respected and I’d think would have knowledgeable people on staff to at bare minimum highlight the weaknesses of a such a study, were they to decide to publish it. Makes you wonder about a political angle.

20. TennTradition

Are these sorts of data mining exercises common in medical literature?

They make total sense for trying to find side effects / complications, etc. for commonly prescribed drugs. Or trying to tease out risk factors.

But for a fairly limited sample size where doctors are prescribing drugs trying to keep folks on death's door alive, it doesn't seem wise.