COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Bet that changes pretty quick once the year starts.

Edit: Not sure what county you are in, so shouldn't speak for your location, but just going off a hunch for my location based on what I've heard through the school system in our county.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Kid's school is scheduled to open with no changes, and on time. Even after school events.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

As of now no decision has been made on our schools.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Don’t you send your to a private school?

I don’t see how they don’t go back or not go out of business

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I have heard that attendance won’t be mandatory this year

6. CardinalVol

My gut tells me they will start out giving it a go. Once it gets cooler in fall they may go half days split up until spring.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Knox County is considering splitting the kids into two groups and the groups rotate days so the number of kids in the schools on any given day is half of what it would normally be.

It's also on the table to go completely remote from the start. Teachers are going to go through several trainings this summer on teaching remotely with things like Zoom. I don't see how going completely remote is a possibility, though.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’m for 100% remote.

cpninja likes this.
  9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

10. cpninja

cpninja Member

from a public health POV i'd love for school to be 100% remote from day 1 but realistically that is going to screw over a bunch of kids who are already not on the greatest educational footing. Not sure you can just throw the kids back into class at full speed either unless we keep cases low thru the summer and into fall though. Would hate to be the person with their neck on the line for the decision either way, because i'm not sure there is much you can do that will cover all your bases

Tenacious D likes this.
  11. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

From my understanding, Shelby county is on the same split/rotate plan at the moment. They also moved some teachers with their students for some sort of continuity at the elementary level. One going into 4th and the other 2nd. Both teachers moved up with the class. There are 4-7 classes per grade and they usually mix up the students but mostly staying the same next year.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that’s what they are talking about doing here. I don’t know how you do this given the fact that most people don’t have babysitting for kids during th work week

13. fl0at_

They already closed the high school.

14. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

No known outbreaks from the partiers at the Ozarks over Memorial Day per the MO Health Dept.

I'd assume there was some asymptomatic transmission, but the fact that they haven't found obvious evidence of a hotspot seems like really good news.

15. CardinalVol

From possibly one of the 3 best accounts on Twitter, David Burge taking a flamethrower to the Lancet study -

16. fl0at_

17. fl0at_

Appears Britain just pulled a study, which found no benefit. That's fine. Someone may still benefit somewhere even if there is no massive benefit, so if it is safe, no issues with prescription. It just might not do anything. But nothing else does anything either, so fire away.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN23C1YM

18. fl0at_

One hospital around here is partnering with another university in the area to provide PPE, cleaning supplies and on site screening of symptoms. Probably to generate revenue.

What is the percentage of PPE and cleaning supplies that are being resold, that came from government issuance?

IP likes this.
  19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I think there are enough signals for us to begin asking if we overstated the "novel" nature of this virus to our immune systems. They high rates of asymptomatic cases and the rapid IgG immune response paired with the nosedive the virus has taken in the northeast after hitting 20-30% infection levels has me asking questions.

For anyone here who has studied immune responses. is ~25% of patients having detectable IgG antibodies by immunoassay or ELISA after just 5 days post-onset of symptoms not highly unusual? Isn't that fast for IgG response?

If we don't see infections turn around and rise for a while after these protests (not just reported cases - but an actual turnaround in infections again), then I think we'll have to ask some new questions about what levels are required for herd immunity.

IP likes this.
  20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

What the [uck fay] he just say and who is Elisa. She hot?

NorrisAlan likes this.