COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I understand the general point you're working toward, but I've got an issue with propping up Sweden. Skimming the report right now, it mentions that fatality rates for those admitted to hospitals have drastically improved as the pandemic has progressed. Whether it's by the virus weakening or treatment improving, it was better to catch the virus in month 4 versus month 1. I'm not accusing Sweden of anything nefarious, but the conservative approach of a lockdown seems appropriate in that case. Not allowing 80+ year olds into hospitals does seem pretty sketchy, though.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Most of the socialized healthcare systems didn’t have the any where close to the capacity that we have.

A lot of that was those that were in their systems nursing homes which generally are individuals without anyone and are bed ridden

Tough choices to conserve resources had to be made unfortunately. Italy and a few other countries had to do the same as well.

I do think it’s encouraging that even with all of that the death rate is .06 and just .04 if you take away nursing home deaths.

That’s an above average seasonal flu season death rate that they’ve experienced recently in Sweden

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The mandatory masks in Knox county seems...unnecessary

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Btw another reason for spiked cases is due to tests given to patients prior to surgery.
    I estimate there are 12-15 million surgeries per month.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I expect no less than 25 lawsuits to be filed today.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That’s not driving it though.

The shutdown did its job here buying us time, but in doing that we didn’t get exposure and not seeing spread in populations that haven’t built immunity yet.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If a patient goes under anesthesia, they get one, it's not necessarily surgery

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

it’s also encouraging that T cells from other Coronavirus infections seem to attack the virus and help fight it off.

Which is most likely why children and younger adults are better immune

9. Ssmiff

Maybe not driving it but surgeries in April were nixed and didnt start really ramping up until the last 4-6 weeks. Plastic, cardiac, ortho, etc have been cranking them out which adds no telling how many to the positive cases for asymptomatic people.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

We'll see how it works out for them, but they currently have a higher death rate and a higher unemployment rate than their closest sister country that did the opposite of them.

And they are still adding cases.

I bet in the end they will have higher cost of health care, and have to increase tax as well.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

If this idea that around 20% gives herd immunity is true, cases and deaths should go off a cliff in many places imminently. It doesn't seem to be happening. 20% seems like an absurdly low number, and any invocations of it requiring altered behavior/masks and sequestering of at-risk people kind of, uh, indicates that it isn't herd immunity per se at work if those things are required for the desired effect.

Me not getting AIDS while not receiving blood donations, sharing needles, or having sex with several partners doesn't indicate I am in a population with herd immunity to AIDS.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The sheriff's department is saying they aren't going to enforce it

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I am probably going to have to pick up some incoming folks the airport next week. Most likely I'll pick up someone coming in from the States. One guy is already asking if quarantine really means you can't leave your apartment. I just can't wait to tell him that he needs to mask up before he gets in the car for our two-hour hour drive.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Worth considering.

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Alabama COVID parties or just a family reunion? Either way, there's more sister kissing than you can shake a stick at.
    [​IMG]

IP and VolDad like this.
  16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

might be a theme of a party, but I doubt that’s the reason for the party

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Counterpoint - it's Bama.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

19. Ssmiff

Of course a political slant trying to lay blame where he caught it. It never ends.

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

[​IMG]