College Football 2020

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Apr 26, 2020.

1. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

What we're probably talking about is threshold of viral load/infection and also the body's immune response. There's a threshold of viral load when passed both will get sick or have a massive immune response which can also look like illness or is a form of illness. Below that threshold of viral load you get a mild immune response, might be a runny nose, might be a slight and short fever response and virus is controlled, but that small exposure may be beneficial in giving your body the immune code for this virus. I think you're reading too much into it about degree of illness versus slight symptons or no symptons from small exposure because immune system did it's job versus full on disease because immune system was overwhelmed. Also keep in mind any two people, even twins, might have a different response do to their unique DNA and immune system health. What the cruise ship and air craft carrier showed us is that some people have natural immunity to this virus or could be any other virus otherwise everyone would have gotten sick, but many didn't. Working assumption from this is that perhaps up to 50% of pop is naturally immune. Also interesting is that any of us who have been out and about have probably already been exposed.

What I have learned is how amazingly little the science/medical community actually knows about viruses, how they spread and mutate and disappear. There's a lot we don't know, that I assumed we knew.

2. VOLinDAWGland

So based on that article I posted, put yourself in Fulmer's big shoes, what do you do about games in September?
    Pros: games are outside, that's good for reducing viral load
    Cons: lots of shouting spraying virus particles, if capacity you're packed in like sardines so no distancing

Solutions to mitigate:
    - Spacing by 50% capacity (have no idea how you handle ticket purchases), that might not even be enough space, every other seat or every other row? Them bleachers are tight.
    - Require mask wearing (have no idea how you'd inforce, and it would suck, even if you could uncover nose that would help, but breathing CO2 for 4 hrs in heat, no thanks)
    - No alcohol to keep people from doing risky things because intoxicated
    - Check temp before allowing entry (no idea how to handle that logistically and not perfect, could be early stage infected but no fever)

But if BLM protests seem to not be creating hot spots, why would attending a sporting event create one? From a risk management perspective, there's no one to sue for a protest, but you could definitely class action the AD/school.

3. VOLinDAWGland

Fun fact: Gov Cuomo's decision to put infected patients into nursing homes has caused more deaths than 911.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's pretty much it

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If there is football, the likelihood there will be fans is very small.

Tar Volon and NorrisAlan like this.
  6. VOLinDAWGland

7. VOLinDAWGland

Symptomatic Asymptomatic, not sure it really matters, there's only two groups of people: those already exposed and those who will be exposed. I suppose there's a 3rd group those who lock themselves away from human contact.

Only remaining questions are how big those two groups are and when will we attain herd immunity. We can stretch it out to some degree but we can't stop it. There are tradeoffs to stretching it out too extremely...lost businesses, destroyed lives that need to be balanced against legit medical system overload...not fear of potential system overload.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not an expert, but this doesn't sound right to me, regarding disease being "full on" or not and symptoms being strongly tied to the amount of exposure, beyond infectious dose.

9. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

You are the definition of a joke if you believe it’s not spread asymptomatically based on a retracted statement. Take your tinfoil hat to Facebook. Every uneducated hick I know reposted that article when it came out and ignored the retraction, so you’re in great company.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The viral load does determine how sick you will become. This is what I heard health care professionals saying all April long. They said that their outcomes would be worse than Corona Positive Joe Public because of level of exposure. It makes sense to me. If your system gets overwhelmed by an army of invaders, you're in trouble.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

A peer-reviewed article I read said that you were about 1/6 as contagious if you are asymptomatic.

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

But asymptomatic is very different than pre-symptomatic. Pre-symptomatic is super contagious

Tar Volon and warhammer like this.
  14. VOLinDAWGland

15. VOLinDAWGland

[uck fay] off

BigOrangeBeech likes this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Don't it suck when you try calling out someone's intellect just to have to edit your post to keep from looking like an idiot?

Everyone has done it though.

18. KyleAlexanderfan

Yeah, phone typos are a great indicator of intellectual prowess.

19. KyleAlexanderfan

What’s your next bold Facebook claim? That we should be aiming for herd immunity?

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I've heard multiple medical professionals say this on the news. That article was just a quick search.