POLITICS Meet Communist Chy-Na

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Oct 8, 2019.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Please point out the context you say exists. I do not see it anywhere. I don't see anything anywhere that would be a context clue that would reduce any university to be mean any Chinese university.

2. fl0at_

I think it goes beyond just universities. It'd be a pretty stupid strategy that allowed Chinese students to go do undergrad in, say, Greece, and then apply in to the US from a non Chinese university, and be granted.

Be a very, very short sighted strategy, wouldn't you think? To limit to just Chinese based universities?

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

The risks would seem to be very similar, but as I read the order (admittedly not spending a ton of time on it), it seemed to focus on researchers affiliated with institutions that support the military-civilian strategy. So, it wasn't totally clear it would apply to Chinese students who come here for undergrad and stay, for example. But, again, I could have missed it because I only read through it once.

4. TennTradition

See answer below - to me, the order seemed to be calling out students affiliated with Chinese universities that are part of the military-civilian. Therefore, the context to me was obvious from discussion of the order.

But if I misunderstood the order, then the context would not be apparent.

5. fl0at_

I'll read through it again. You're probably right. Sorry for jumping on you for something you didn't do.

TennTradition likes this.
  6. fl0at_

Nope, you're right. I got it wrong. Students can enter US undergrad, be recruited, enter US graduate and do the same thing. It is pretty much only limited to PRC institutions. I guess probability of that is deemed small. I guess. Seems short-sighted.

7. TennTradition

I just spoke with a friend of mine who is a professor. He said they've discussed this some in their department. Said that there is apparently a list of universities in China that would be banned for recruitment as a result, and that it is generally some lower-tier universities that they don't really recruit from. Said that this would be a bigger issue if China had compulsory military service. I haven't seen that list and he could be wrong - but that was his feedback.

IP and Tenacious D like this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Doesn't sound like it will be very effective, then.

9. TennTradition

Depends on whether that list of universities was correct.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

IP likes this.
  11. TennTradition

This 2 TRILLION dollar manufacturing stimulus that is being batted around is massive. Talk about having the potential to shift supply chains in this country....

CNN was saying Pelosi wants 3 T, Mitch wants 1 T, but White House is pushing 2 T, or "at least" 2 T.

Tenacious D and Volst53 like this.
  12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I actually love that Nancy is pushing for 3T.

It’s the rare moment when I think she’s being both good and smart.

U-S-A!
    U-S-A!
    U-S-A!

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

seems completely unnecessary to me

14. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Question......If China were tomorrow to say ''We will forgive all American debts to China of any kind...in addition we will give in cash 100% of invested US money in Tiawan and we will honor the latest trade agreements.....in return we want Tiawan for all time and assurances of no US meddling in Chinese methods within our borders. If these terms are unacceptable we are prepared to declare war on America. What would the American response be?

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I would like to think that the USA would defend it's allies of many many years and tell China seven carrier groups are heading to the south china sea right now.

But also, that would cause a serious economic strain on China. I don't think they can afford to relieve us of all of our debt or give up our consumerism.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My response -

[​IMG]

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Buy stock in defense contractors.

justingroves likes this.
  18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Damn maybe I should have got fat and out of shape like everyone else

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

https://tenor.com/u03t.gif

20. fl0at_

We gave up the Kurds for hotel rugs, we'd give up Taiwan too. If it were tomorrow.

IP and NorrisAlan like this.